Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
s.vijayan
Adventurer
Adventurer

S6 - Rise/fall time of configuration clock

Hi All,

Where can I find the required rise/fall time values for the configuration clock pin in spartan 6 devices ? The values are not available in the data sheet  "Spartan-6 FPGA Data Sheet: DC and Switching Characteristics".

0 Kudos
3 Replies
austin
Scholar
Scholar

s,

Rise and fall times depend on the IOstandard.  Generally, the rise and fall times should be free of glitches, or noise so you do not get double clocking.  A sine wave can even be used if it is clean enough.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
eteam00
Instructor
Instructor

A sinewave is actually an ideal clock waveform, much 'friendlier' than a square wave. (none of those nasty high frequency harmonics, just a clean fundamental frequency waveform!).

As Austin stated, the critical design criteria is to avoid glitches in the clock, and this requires sound practices for routing and terminating the clock net on the circuit board.  The configuration user guide (UG380 for S6 devices) has a section on config clock board layout.

As for optimal (which is different from allowable) rise/fall time for the config clock, it's a safe bet to mimic what Xilinx has designed into their devices.  In the S6 case, Xilinx has chosen 8mA drive LVCMOS25 IO std for the config clock output from their devices.  This should be good guidance for an external config clock source (if it's good enough for Xilinx, it should be good enough for you, right?).  The rise/fall time specs for an 8mA LVCMOS25 output are in the technology datasheet (e.g. DS162 in the case of S6).  And if your rise/fall time is slower than that spec, you're still probably OK as long as the waveform is monotonic (no glitches) at all loads on the clock run.

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
s.vijayan
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thanks for the details, This should help.

0 Kudos