cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

SP305 Dev board information & Examples

I am new to VHDL so someone at work gave me an old SP305 Dev board to practice with. 

I was able to find schematics, the user guide, and a handful of bit files.

Does anyone have any further information to accompany this board?

Ideally some tutorials or example code to get me up and running.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Running Vivado 16.1

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

c,

That board is not supported by Vivado.  You will need to run ISE 14.7.  Look at how to do that on a virtual Linux machine (as ISE is not supported on newer Windows OS machines).

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Not supported.

I see that the Sp305 does not show up with the other boards like the zync, but if i open a new project and do a hardware scan, it finds and identifies the Spartan1500 chip.

I was hoping between that and the xbd file I found, that i could use vivado.    I guess that is not the case.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Previous forum post answer given by Austin is correct. SP305 board has Spartan-3 device. Entire Spartan-3 series FPGA devices are not supported in Vivado tools for project implementations. You need to use ISE 14.7 tools.

Every FPGA has Device IDCODE. Through JTAG chain it may identify the device as per IEEE standard. But In Vivado tools project creation, compilation kind of design activities do not supported for Spartan-3 device family FPGA's.  

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Well, thank you. I appreciate the heads up about Vivado.

My company has a very basic Spartan 3E based board they developed. Not as ideal to learn on as a development board would be. but I suppose I could use that to learn with.

Is the Spartan 3E supporded in Vivado?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Vivado tools do not support  older device families like Spartan-3 series, Spartan-6 series etc. Vivado tools support started latest version FPGA device families from  7-series FPGA's  (Including Zynq series , Ultrascale series, Ultrascale + series etc). Please refer that particular of Vivado tools version release notes to know supported devices list.

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos