Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rhykie
Visitor
Visitor

Spartan 2 FPGA (xc2s100)

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm new to FPGAs (and so to the Xilinx family of FPGAs), so I am asking whether there are any built-in/pre-programmed Verilog modules or variables in Xilinx Spartan-II (XC2S100) FPGA board. This is because I was doing an example of a Verilog code designed for a partan-II FPGA and I came across some module instantiations of the modules which were not in the code, such as IBUF, CLKDLL and BUFG. Their syntax were highlighted, and I was not sure whether they are built-in in Verilog or in the FPGA board for I/O ports.

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gszakacs
Instructor
Instructor

These are not "board defined" but rather primitive structures of the FPGA.  You can find

a description in the Libraries Guide, which is part of the software manuals for your

version of ISE.  If you are using a more recent version of ISE, then the guides are

available from the ISE Navigator in the Help menu under "Software Manuals" or

"Online Documentation"

HTH,

Gabor

-- Gabor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
gszakacs
Instructor
Instructor

These are not "board defined" but rather primitive structures of the FPGA.  You can find

a description in the Libraries Guide, which is part of the software manuals for your

version of ISE.  If you are using a more recent version of ISE, then the guides are

available from the ISE Navigator in the Help menu under "Software Manuals" or

"Online Documentation"

HTH,

Gabor

-- Gabor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
eteam00
Professor
Professor

If you are using a more recent version of ISE, then the guides are available from the ISE Navigator in the Help menu under "Software Manuals" or "Online Documentation"

Warning, the most recent versions of ISE do not support the Spartan 2 family, but Spartan 3 and later are supported.  I believe ISE 10 was the latest version to support Spartan II (2).

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
gszakacs
Instructor
Instructor

Thanks, Bob.  Version 10.1 is "recent" in my book :)

And yes, 10.1.03i is the latest version for Spartan 2 support.

Support for Spartan 2 (non-E version) goes back at least as far as the old Aldec-based

Foundation 4.1 tools.  Documentation in the older versions is organized differently.

Regards,

Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
eteam00
Professor
Professor

Version 10.1 is "recent" in my book :smileyhappy:

How are those floppy drives holding up for you, Gabor?  :)

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.