UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Spartan 3AN

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am a beginner with FPGA and i am working wuth SPARTAN 3AN.

i was looking at the datasheet, and reading about the internal system flash.

i was wondering, is it true that by just configuring the pins correctly, you can make the FPGA load itself with its image at startup without any user interference? or is there any trick i am missing?

thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Spartan 3AN

Jump to solution

Yes i understand that now.

Last night i succeeded in designing the SPI Master and simulated it perfectly using modelsim !

Thank you.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

b,

Yes.  That is the whole idea behind this device:  make it so the whole design can be loaded in a few milliseconds after power ON.

The flash is big enough to also put something else it there as well:  another deisgn image, or use it for storing software code for a soft processor.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Thank you.

it is amazing really.

i am just looking at the code for the SPI_ACCESS which should allow a read/write from the flash.

and i saw it reads on the positive edge of the clock, even though i understood from the documentation that it reads data on the negative edge of clock, perhaps i was wrong.

Currently i am trying to design a Compatible SPI Master, hope i can succeed.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

bkazour wrote:

Thank you.

it is amazing really.

i am just looking at the code for the SPI_ACCESS which should allow a read/write from the flash.

and i saw it reads on the positive edge of the clock, even though i understood from the documentation that it reads data on the negative edge of clock, perhaps i was wrong.

Currently i am trying to design a Compatible SPI Master, hope i can succeed.

Thanks again.

It's common for SPI data to be asserted (driven out) on the falling edge of the clock and registered in (read) on the rising edge. If you look at page 11 of UG333 (v2.1) you will see Figure 1-2 which makes this clear.

It is VERY easy to write code for an SPI master that does this.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Yes i understand that now.

Last night i succeeded in designing the SPI Master and simulated it perfectly using modelsim !

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Newbie oceanboy

Jump to solution
Hello,I am a newer to FPGA ,and I also want to use SPI_ACCESS but I don't know how to write VHDL code to achieve that.Could you please send some certain code to me?Thank you very much.My email is qiuhuijieqifeng@126.com
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi 

I wrote this verilog code for to access (read & write ) operation in spartan 3an(XC3S50AN) evaluation kit . i followed these procedures for access the FLASH byte address .but there wont have any result in that MISO_OUT  after i implement in to the device. i could not find whether its writing in to the chip or not  like.....! pls can u verify this simulation picture and coding wheter any wrong procedures i folloewd in this process . my motive is i should write and read the bytes like EEPROM flash memory .

CSB LOW                                                        - rising edge of clk

24 BIT ADDRESS for write                           - falling edge of clock ( MOSI_IN)

24 BIT ADDRESS for READ                         -falling edge of clock ( MOSI_IN),

READ BYTE                                                    - falling edge of MISO_OUT

CSB    HIGH                                                    - falling edge of clock 

0 Kudos