UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor 430611624
Visitor

Spartan 6 - 6SLX45FGG484

Jump to solution

Hey there,

i'am struggling with the pdn design for the spartan 6.

For a proper Design i need to know the exit frequency where

the Board can rise above the target impedance and the

chip takes over. Have you any idea?

Kind regards,

Tobias Buckel

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Power Distribution on circuit board

Jump to solution

Tobias,

I took a few minutes to look through the linked page and an indirectly linked apnote.  I didn't see any compelling and intrinsic elegance in these docs which would simplify the task of circuitboard design.

If you don't mind a somewhat simpler (and arguably less pretentious) approach, I refer you to UG393 -- and specifically to Chapter 2.  The recommendations are quite solid and simple to understand and follow.  And there is a healthy and useful dosage of fundamental principles to provide insight for informed design.

The Altera and Xilinx board design guidelines are more alike than they are different, but you are still unlikely to find that all terms used in one set of docs directly correspond to terms used in the other set of docs.  I wouldn't let this bother you.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
4 Replies
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Re: Spartan 6 - 6SLX45FGG484

Jump to solution

I've been a design engineer for over 30 years, and I have no idea what you are talking about.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Visitor 430611624
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi Bob, thanks for the reply.

The Power Distribution Network (PDN) of a PCB has to be dimensioned

so that the noise on the supply rail (e.g. VCCINT) due to the switching current

of the FPGA doesn´t exceed the specified range in the Datasheet.

Altera does a great job there and supports this topic with several papers.

http://www.altera.com/technology/signal/power-distribution-network/sgl-pdn.html

So once again, can anybody tell me the necessary exit frequencys for the

Core Supply and the Bank Supplys.

Sorry for the useless topic title :-(

kind regards,

Tobias Buckel

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Power Distribution on circuit board

Jump to solution

Tobias,

I took a few minutes to look through the linked page and an indirectly linked apnote.  I didn't see any compelling and intrinsic elegance in these docs which would simplify the task of circuitboard design.

If you don't mind a somewhat simpler (and arguably less pretentious) approach, I refer you to UG393 -- and specifically to Chapter 2.  The recommendations are quite solid and simple to understand and follow.  And there is a healthy and useful dosage of fundamental principles to provide insight for informed design.

The Altera and Xilinx board design guidelines are more alike than they are different, but you are still unlikely to find that all terms used in one set of docs directly correspond to terms used in the other set of docs.  I wouldn't let this bother you.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
Visitor 430611624
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks Bob, thats not what i expected but i will swallow that pill.

0 Kudos