UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Spartan-6 Clock generator

Hi,

Are there any clock management module like DCM in Spartan-6?  How to handle

a clock in Spartan-6?

Regards,

Peter

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
19 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Spartan-6 Clock generator

Hi,

DCM is available in Spartan-6. It can be instantiated using primitives DCM_SP or DCM_CLKGEN. Refer to http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug382.pdf for more details.

If this does not address your query please elobarate it.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@peterchang0708 wrote:

Are there any clock management module like DCM in Spartan-6?  How to handle

a clock in Spartan-6?

Ya know, if you'd bothered to spend thirty seconds looking at the Spartan-6 Family Overview document, you would have seen the section titled "Clock Management."

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

One further question.

Can I use a DCM generated based on a device Spartan-3 from coregen, and used in a Spartan-6 device?

Thanks.

Peter

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

No.  Re-generate the DCM instantiation using the Spartan-6 Clock Wizard.  This is a 2-minute task.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Many thanks.

Peter

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi Bob,

Another problem I have about the DCM is that, though it is easy to generate a DCM, I don't know why the performace

isn't well according to my experience.  Let me give you an example.  I've try to generate a DCM wtih one 27Mhz input,

3 outputs, 27Mhz, 54Mhz, and 74.25Mhz.  All have 50% duty.  And generated by auto mode, which is supposed to

be a PLL based DCM.  The result I saw on the scope isn't so well for the 74.25Mhz clock.  It is about 71 ~ 72Mhz.

Sometimes, 76Mhz.  Not so stable.  And the duty isn't so good either.  Why?  Are there any way to improve the

performance.  Many thanks.

Peter

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The problem is likely with your scope having a bandwidth that is too low. Is it at least a 300 MHz scope?
------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

It sounds like you are working with digital video, based on the clock frequencies you mention.

Start with your clock source.

• What is the clock source?
  • Is the clock source stable?  How is the source clock generated?
  • Is the clock source constantly running, or does it drop out with (for example) switched connections?

Next is your DCM instantiation.  Please post your code for this.

Finally, how are you measuring the clock frequencies?  What instruments are you using, and how accurate are they?  You need a 300MHz scope (as McGett writes) for an accurate display of the *shape* of the clock, but you do not need a 300MHz scope to measure the frequency of a 27MHz clock.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi Bob,

You got it.  You must be familiar with it.  Let me explain more as below.

Input clock source; OSC 27Mhz, (measurement on scope; period:37ns, freq.: 27.027, duty: 44.61%) stable.

FPGA: Spartan-6  XC6SLX150, FGG676 ( xc6slx150-2fgg676, for the speed grade, I select -2)

DCM is generated in auot by coregen as the attached file.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi ,

Scope is Agilent 500Mhz Mixed Signal Oscilloscope

MSO6054A

Suppose, it is okay.

Peter

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi Bob,

The scope is Agilent 500Mhz Mixed Signal Oscilloscope

MSO6054A

Suppose, it is okay for the measurement.

Peter

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Suggest you try using a PLL instead of a DCM.  Report back with your results when you are ready.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi Bob,

The clock of 74.25 becomes

..............             ..............            ........

.........|             |............|             |............|

7ns       6ns         7ns      6ns

much better.  But still not stable, some clocks will

not in phase, for example.

........           ................                  ........

......|       |..........|               |..................|       |...

4ns   5.1ns    7.9ns        9.1ns

| <----        26.1 ns   -------------->|                    

From two of those clock, the frequency may about the same, but much different

for each.

Peter

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Please understand that I cannot look over your shoulder and see what you are seeing.  These are tet messages in an online forum, not a classroom discussion room.  You MUST communicate as clearly and concisely as possible.

But still not stable, some clocks will not in phase

What does this mean?  Which clocks are not 'in phase' ?  What does 'in phase' mean?
Do you expect 74.25MHz clocks and 27MHz clocks will be in phase with each other?

I have never seen PLL-generated outputs with oddly non-uniform pulse widths as you have illustrated.  Please clarify how these clock waveforms were generated, how these waveforms were measured, and please attach code snippets where your clocks are generated (DCM and PLL instantiations).

Thank you.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Dear Bob,

Thanks for your help.  The clock is now getting better after adding some contraints by contraint editor.

Many thanks.

Peter

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

One more thing you have to verify 'Requested' and  'Actual' values while generating DCM clocks in Coregen tools.Due to Multiply (M) & Divide (D) combinations difficulty some times the DCM may not generate exact requested values.They gennerated nerest possible values will be shown in "Actual" values while genrating DCM core.

If the above is not issue then it may be osciloscope probe bandwidth problem.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

PS: Please search your queries before posting them on the board. Your query might have already been answered through other posts.

In case your query is answered through any of the post, please mark them as answer.
In case the information provided was helpful please feel free to give kudos to that post.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi Kodali,

Thanks for your further comment.  Yes, you're right.  The scope is 500Mhz.  And the probe is the original.

Supposed, both are okay for the measurement.  DCM is able to generate a close value.  Not exactly, as

far as I know, for the case.  Right now, the freq.  I've gotten is acceptable.

Peter

0 Kudos
Scholar joelby
Scholar

How are you outputting the clocks to FPGA pins for observation? Are you using ODDR2?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

No. You can not use a DCM generated based on a device Spartan-3 from coregen,to Spartan-6 device. You have to generate seperate DCM for Spartan-6

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos