UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie yuti

Spartan 6 Configuration

Hello Team, I plan to use Spartan 6 FPGA (XA6SLX100). I would want to use indirect programming for programming the configuration device. Which configuration would be better to use. I have a DDR in my design. SPI (would it be fast enough) would it be possible for indirect programming? For parallel ( would it be indirect programmable)? Also which user guide would help in figuring out the size of configuration IC that I can use?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Spartan 6 Configuration

You can refer to https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_7/pim_r_supported_spi_bpi_proms.htm for the list of supported flash families both serial and parallel.

Usually BPI would be faster than SPI.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos

HI @yuti,

Spartan-6 FPGAs can configure directly from commodity SPI serial flash and parallel NOR flash memories.  and  regrading the indirect programming see XAPP973, Indirect Programming of BPI PROMs with Virtex-5 FPGAs, and XAPP974, Indirect Programming of SPI Serial Flash PROMs with Spartan-3A FPGAs and see the XAPP586 Using SPI Flash with 7 Series FPGAs, then you can have brief ideal about the difference , based on your application need (configuration time )you have choose the configuration mode.

Thanks & Regrads

S.chandra sekhar 

Regards
Chandra sekhar
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if solution provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @yuti

Check the configuration user guide for complete details of the supported configuration modes and related guidelines.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug380.pdf

Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos

following application note for spi configuration might help you 

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp951.pdf

0 Kudos