UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer rty
Observer

Spartan-6: How to make a differential output for a clock?

Hello.

I am trying to output clock that is recovered by the GTP (RecClk) to the output pins.

RecClk is connected to BUFG, so I am trying to output global clock signal.

I want to make a differential output for this clock, but when I tryed to use OBUFDS for it, Mapper said me:

ERROR:LIT:544 - BUFDS symbol
   "physical_group_GTP_RefClks<1>/IBUFDSBlock[1].GTP_REFCLKBUFDSs_ML_BUFDS"
   (output signal=GTP_RefClks<1>) can only drive a GTPA1_DUAL's CLK00, CLK01,
   CLK10, or CLK11 pins. Please modify the design to avoid an unroutable
   situation.

So, is it possible to output global clock as differential signal?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Advisor eilert
Advisor

Re: Spartan-6: How to make a differential output for a clock?

Hi,

you said that ref_clk is connected to a global Clock buffer (BUFG) . Normaly these routes are special and can not be accessed for other purposes.

So, you need to take the signal from the clock net. It may be difficult to connect a OBUFDS directly to a Clock net,but you can use one or two ODDR2 modules to "reconstruct" the clock signal.

Instantiate a  ODDR2 with a constant 1 on the data input that is affiliated with the normal clock and a constant '0' to the data input thats affiliated with the inverted clock. drive the clocks from the clock net that has ref_clk on it.

If necessary use a second ODDR2 with inverted data inputs to create the inverted input for the OBUFDS. (I'm not sure about the necessary inputs of the OBUFDS).

But maybe there is a simpler solution to it.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

0 Kudos
Observer dmitry_
Observer

To what pins you are trying to connect those differential signals ? user sma A3 B3 ?

Try using bufio2fb insted of bufg and check attributes of obufds. Or try place two bufgs after obufds ))

0 Kudos
Visitor jatink007
Visitor

Thanks,

it works when i used bufio2fb insted of bufg. Now i can connect clock directly to a OBUFDS pin.

0 Kudos