UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Spartan 6 Layout Questions

Jump to solution

Hey all, I'm in the process of putting together a Spartan 6 design, and I've got two questions regarding PCB layout issues.

First off, does anyone know how large an NSMD pad has to be for the FG484 package?  I'd love to be able to get away with 0.5mm; anything larger doesn't let you route a trace between balls with 6 mil trace/space.

Secondly, I'm using one of the memory interfaces to connect over to a single 16 bit wide DDR2 DRAM.  The traces are crossing over one another every which way, and threating to really make a mess of the routing in that area.  It seems to me, reading through the datasheets, that

1. Any of the pins DQ(15:8) can be swapped with one another
  2. Any of the pins DQ(7:0) can be swapped with one another
  3. Any of the pins BA(2:0) can be swapped with one another
  4. Everything else has to go where it was meant to

If that's really the case, I can disentangle things beautifully.  Anyone know if I can?

Thanks,

Rob

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Spartan 6 Layout Questions

Jump to solution

Page 85 of http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug388.pdf makes it clear that 1 and 2 are okay, and of course #4 in your list is okay.  I do not believe you can swap the BA bits because they are used for the mode register address and swapping them would cause the controller to not initialize the memory properly.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Page 85 of http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug388.pdf makes it clear that 1 and 2 are okay, and of course #4 in your list is okay.  I do not believe you can swap the BA bits because they are used for the mode register address and swapping them would cause the controller to not initialize the memory properly.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution
Thanks a lot.  I knew I had seen something somewhere (page 83 if you're still on v1.0 of UG388), but wasn't able to find it when I'd been looking.
0 Kudos