UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spartan 6 is not functioning properly. Can I test the hardware somehow?

Jump to solution

Hello!

I am new with programming FPGAs.

I have some issues with the Spartan 6 board. I think that the clock oscillator is not working. I tested it in a VHDL program: I mapped an input signal to the board clock (pin V10), an output signal to one of the board's LED and connect the signals. As far as I know, the LED should have been bright (I've done this before), but it doesn't even turn on. I am sure that the LED is working. Also it is not working in my design.

One more thing: in the past, when I turned it on (or pressed the "Reset" button), before putting any program on it, it usually would show on the 7-segment display some messages, but now it shows nothing sometimes, and other times it prints "bPI", then "PASS", then "128" and it stops with "0".

Please help me, I don't know what to do.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Spartan 6 is not functioning properly. Can I test the hardware somehow?

Jump to solution

Hi,

Did you run the BIST test for the Spartan-6 device.

1) BIST PDF instructions - LINK

2) Design - link

Try these tests which should check most of the fpga interfaces.

Howvever which crystal oscillator are you referring to from among the pg 26 of the link - http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/ug526.pdf

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Hi,

Are you using a custom board or an evaluation board?

Are you 100 % sure that the oscillator is faulty? Can you please drive LOGIC 1 to LED by writing some HDL code and see if the LED glows? If it glows, then the LED is working.

You can insert chipscope in your design to see if the signals are driving the expected values or not? This helps us in narrow downing the issue.

Regards,
Krishna
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

You mentioned that Spartan 6 is not functioning properly.Did you able to configure FPGA? Did DOne pin is high?

If not please send error code and log file information.

In case if FPGA configured successfully but it do not functioning as per the expectation then verify your code.

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Did you run the BIST test for the Spartan-6 device.

1) BIST PDF instructions - LINK

2) Design - link

Try these tests which should check most of the fpga interfaces.

Howvever which crystal oscillator are you referring to from among the pg 26 of the link - http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/ug526.pdf

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thank you all for your replies!

I may try the BIST tests. That's exactly what I was looking for.

As for the other replies: Everything seems okay except what I said before. The leds are all bright for a second when I start the board so they all work, and I can successfully configure it (the Done led is shining too). I do not know how to use the Chipscope (tried once but failed)..

Thank you very much for the effort!

0 Kudos