Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
j1s1e1
Observer
Observer

Spartan 6 pull ups during SPI indirect programming using xc6slx45_spi.cor

Jump to solution

I'm bringing up some boards with an XC6SLX45-2CSG324I and a Windbond W25Q32BVZPIG flash for configuration.  When using the xc6slx45_spi.cor for programming the flash, the device does not appear to follow the HSWAPEN pin.  I have the pin pulled up to 3.3V so that pull-ups will be disabled during configuration.  This works fine when the FPGA configures itself from the flash.  However, when the flash is being configured, the xc6slx45_spi.cor, the pin is ignored and all unused pull-ups (from the core) are enabled.  This enables a power supply which causes a voltage drop that causes the flash programming to fail.

The source for the flash programming core is unavailable.  Is there any other way to control the pull ups while the flash programming core is running?

Thanks,

James

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
eteam00
Professor
Professor

James,

Well done pursuing this to its practical near-term conclusion, and well-done to Xilinx for providing the workaround you needed.

This thread raises a real unanticipated problem which could affect a number of customer designs, and concludes with a practical workaround solution. You should mark this thread as 'solved'.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
eteam00
Professor
Professor

I don't have an answer for you, but it would be a good idea to specify which version of ISE (and iMPACT) tools you are using.

If you don't get a response from the forums -- or even if you do get a response -- you should consider opening a webcase for direct response from Xilinx support team.  If this is a bug (and your description suggests that it might be considered a bug), then a webcase is the proper mechanism for reporting the bug and initiating a software CR (correction request).

Also, you might consider using the non-Xilinx Digilent tools (hardware and software) for indirect programming.  There's a chance that the Digilent ADEPT software works differently than Xilinx' iMPACT.

Good job on troubleshooting this problem, by the way.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
j1s1e1
Observer
Observer

Bob --

Thanks for the tip regarding the alternate programmer.  That's a great low cost alternative if we set up a bunch of programinng stations.  I'm currenlty using ISE 13.2 and Impact 0.61xd.  I'll have to submit a webcase and request the ability to control unused pins when programming flash.  I started to do that yesterday, but I haven't signed up with my corporate email yet, so I figured I would check in here first.

James

0 Kudos
gszakacs
Instructor
Instructor

Actually the behavior of I/O pins during SPI programming is exactly what one might expect,

since the SPI programming core is just another bitstream, and therefore the bitstream itself

controls the behavior of "unused IOB's" after it is loaded.  Xilinx could make a different version

of the core without pullup on unused IOB's.  They could also use the JTAG connection to

determine the state of HSWAPEN (or PUDC_B) before deciding which core to use.

Lattice had another approach, which is to offer the indirect SPI programming core for

implentation into your own project.  With that approach you could also use the core

to connect to SPI Flash that isn't on the dedicated config pins, as well as to determine

the state of the other device pins during SPI programming.

The bottom line is that the solution you want must be provided by Xilinx.  Other

workarounds, including direct SPI programming or tolerance to pullups during

SPI programnming would require modification of your hardware.

-- Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
j1s1e1
Observer
Observer

Gabor --

As you've said, it's not really a bug, just the way the core operates.  Unfortunately, this provides a second "configuration" that needs to be considered.  Also, since the behavior of the core is not specified, it could change at a later date.  Your suggestion about detecting the  HSWAPEN (or PUDC_B) before selecting a core would be ideal.  I was able to get a core with the pins floated from Xilinx, and have requested the ideal behavior as a possible enhancement for IMPACT in the next update.

Thanks for your help.

James

eteam00
Professor
Professor

James,

Well done pursuing this to its practical near-term conclusion, and well-done to Xilinx for providing the workaround you needed.

This thread raises a real unanticipated problem which could affect a number of customer designs, and concludes with a practical workaround solution. You should mark this thread as 'solved'.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:

View solution in original post

j1s1e1
Observer
Observer

Another user requested the file with the pins floated.  I have attached the file. Instructions for use are:

The bit file needs to be extracted and renamed to match the file referenced in the original post.  This can then be used to replace the other core that does not float the pins.  Be aware that this is of course specific to this part.  Also, if you use the standard core with other projects, you will want to be sure to manage which one is in the appropriate directory when using the cores.

0 Kudos
therealpaulie
Observer
Observer

James,

From where did you get the configuration file?

I'm searching for the same thing but for Spartan 6, xlx4 - cpg196.

Thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
therealpaulie
Observer
Observer

Hi,

I would apreciate if someone from Xilinx would sent me the "official" files for replacing xc6xlx4_spi.cor, xc6xlx9_spi.cor and xc6xlx16_spi.cor all for cpg196.

My problem was that two Outputs used for PWM were always '1' -> 100% Modulation (after programming with spi core module) causing a fall-down of a voltage DC/DC Converter. Meanwhile I did it by myself. I managed to modify directly the xc6xlx4_spi.cor and to put those two (and probably many others) on "float".

How I did it (comparing files generated with different bitgen configuration):

1. I found what (I think) was the byte for Enable/Disable CRC of a *.bit file and disable the CRC (address x80 or x81, from x00 or x02 - CRC on to 0x10 - CRC Off)

2. I found what (I think) was the Bytes for configuring the Output Buffers (at the end of the file). 0x01 - is floating, 0x03 is pull-up and pull-down I really couldn't figure it out - but it doesn't matter.

In the attacehement are the original and modified file (you can compare it), maybe it will be useful also for someone else. I didn't put all pins to floating, I only changed some value and try again some other values and try.. and so on until those two Outputs changed to 0 / Floating. 

PS: Everything what is written above is only an assumtion. I could not know for sure if I'm right, there is no Xilinx documentation, but it works for me.

Paul

ihh
Visitor
Visitor

Hi therealpaulie

I have the same problem. I would need a xc6xlx16_spi.cor file with all pins floating.

Your solution does not seem to work with Version 14.1 and higher.

Which version did you use?

Herbert

0 Kudos
eripier

Hi

I have the problem for a spartan 6 xc6slx25.

I would have a version of .cor file without pull-up.

Thanks for your help.

Eric

0 Kudos
pratham
Scholar
Scholar

@eripier It is good forum practice to start a new thread. Do you have SR access? If yes, please create a SR for this request. If you dont then let us know

-Pratham

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------