UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Professor
Professor

Spartan 7 - any new features?

Jump to solution

So after the long mysterious wait since the original announcement, there is finally some information on Spartan-7.  From what I can glean from the latest literature, it seems to be a smaller Artix-7 with no GTP (or PCIe EP).  Am I missing anything?  Are there some new features in Spartan-7 that weren't in Artix-7?  In the advanced data sheet, I see table 26 showing "IO_FIFO" timing characteristics, but no information on what an IO_FIFO is.  Is this a new feature?

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Guide avrumw
Guide

Re: Spartan 7 - any new features?

Jump to solution

As far as I can tell, Spartan-7 is an Artix-7 without the GTPs. A fair amount of information has been released with the video in this technical blog - all the features described there are the same as the Artix-7. Also, the datasheet (ds189) shows the timing numbers of the fabric to be identical to the Artix-7.

The IN_FIFO exists in all the 7 series devices. It is a dedicated shallow FIFO in the IOB. It's primary purpose is for memory controllers, where it can be used to do clock crossing between the DQS (or echo clock for QDR) clock domain and the main memory controller clock domain. It is documented in UG471.

Avrum

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
We officially release all the details with Vivado 2016.3 which will be in couple of days ! Pleas wait for release . thanks for your curiosity!
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Guide avrumw
Guide

Jump to solution

As far as I can tell, Spartan-7 is an Artix-7 without the GTPs. A fair amount of information has been released with the video in this technical blog - all the features described there are the same as the Artix-7. Also, the datasheet (ds189) shows the timing numbers of the fabric to be identical to the Artix-7.

The IN_FIFO exists in all the 7 series devices. It is a dedicated shallow FIFO in the IOB. It's primary purpose is for memory controllers, where it can be used to do clock crossing between the DQS (or echo clock for QDR) clock domain and the main memory controller clock domain. It is documented in UG471.

Avrum

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
you can find latest information here
http://www.xilinx.com/products/silicon-devices/fpga/spartan-7.html
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Is there pin/package compatibility between Aritx-7 / Spartan-7 ?

0 Kudos