UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor eitanbella
Visitor

Spartan6 readback of flip-flops content

hi,

can anyone help me:

Is there a way (in spartan6) to read Flip-Flops (registers) content using JTAG readback?

ASAP'

thanx'

Eithan

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: Spartan6 readback of flip-flops content

Yes.

One needs to instantiate the startup block, so you can trigger a capture, then one can read out (everything) with a verify over JTAG, observing the values in the impact.bin file.

Capture must be done with the clocks stopped, or else you may just capture garbage.
Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Visitor eitanbella
Visitor

hi again,

1)

In order to do JTAG readback of  flip-flops contents , i need to know the exact location of the flip-flop in the impact.bin file.

BUT the *.ll file (logic allocation file) that was generated is NOT including any Flip-Flops locations .

Is there a way to know the location of a specific Flip-flop in the Spartan6 readback file ?

2) In spartan-3 ,for example, there is a capture_spartan block that should be instanced in the design in order to do   capture of flip-flops.

this capture_spartan block does not exists in spartan6.

what should i do in order to "tell" the Impact program to capture the flip-flops?

thanx'

eitan

0 Kudos
Visitor cuse2
Visitor

Hey Eitan,

I think we have very similar problems with the Spartan6 devices. Have you somehow managed the readback procedure of latches?

regards

Fabian 

0 Kudos
Visitor glnazar
Visitor

Austin,

I am trying to readback flip-flop values in a Spartan 6 device as well, and I have stumbled upon this thread.

I have looked into what you mentioned but couldn't find any "capture" functionality on the STARTUP_SPARTAN6 primitive. Apparently it's able to issue a restore (through the GSR port), but not a capture.

I have found the CAPTURE_XXXX modules which would also do the trick. However, XXXX can be SPARTAN3, VIRTEX4, VIRTEX5 and so on, but not SPARTAN6.

I've also browsed through the CMD register commands and for VIRTEX6, e.g., there is a GCAPTURE command which also triggers register capture, but in the Spartan 6 documentation (http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug380.pdf pages 94 and 95) it was removed from the list.

So from all this I get the feeling that Spartan 6 devices simply do not have a capture mechanism. Is this correct or is it accessible through some other means?

Regards,

Gabriel

0 Kudos
Teacher rcingham
Teacher

Have you thought of using ChipScope Pro?

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor sindrg
Visitor

Hi,

Have you been able to read flip-flops states on Spartan-6?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Visitor johnsmith007
Visitor

Is there a way to readback flip flops in spartan6? Please answer as we are confused about this and don't know why spartan 6 doesn't have CAPTURE primitive

0 Kudos