cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Supported Memory Devices for the MCB

In UG388 Spartan-6 FPGA Memory Controller User Guide Table 3-1 "Supported Memory Devices for the MCB" list, I checked the DDR2 and DDR3 devices with 16 bit datawidth, but all of the Micron and Elpida devices are "EOL pending" or "Obsolete". Is there an updated version of this list?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

Re: Supported Memory Devices for the MCB

1.  Use the drop-down menu in MIG wizard, not the UG388 list.  MIG is the current code.  UG388 is not updated every time MIG is updated, unless MIG adds some features (or something).

In MIG 3.61 (shipped with ISE 12.4), there are 3 speed grades of Micron 1Gb 1.8V 64M x 16 devices in the dropdown list.

2.  All the DRAM manufacturers are constantly churning their products (replacing them with newer die versions).  In almost all cases, the newer die revision is a drop-in replacement for the previous die revisions.  Die revisions which cause incompatibilities with existing memory controller designs would be disastrous for the DRAM manufacturer, as it would drive customers away in droves to the competition.

The current revision of UG388 is 2.3, dated August 9 2010 -- 8 months old as this post is being written.  Looking at Table 3-1, it's a deeply flawed list.

NOTE to XILINX:  If you aren't going to keep the list of supported DRAM devices in UG388 up to date, you should delete the list from the document.  It would be better to provide a link to a list of DRAM devices expressly supported in each revision of MIG.  Updating this list would be part of the MIG software release process.

Summary:  Run MIG, and check the list of parts available in MIG.  Don't be discouraged by the parts list in UG388.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi,

I am using DDR3 device in my design (Spartan6-LX75).

If i check in MIG tool only speed grade- 187E& 15E devices are supported.

Does this signify that if any other speed grade device is used in design, Spartan-6 will not support (by Xilinx core)?

Please help me in underestanding this issue.

Regards

Sandeep Bansal

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

1.  Please do not raise an unrelated subject to an existing thread.  This is considered rude.  Please review the comments and exhortations in the SIGNATURE appended to this post.

2.  There is no risk in using a faster DRAM in place of a slower DRAM.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos