Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andremacario42
Visitor
Visitor

USB Cable Windows 7 ISE 12.4 intermittent problem

Hi people,

Besides all topics covering this subject, looking for the 78 messages I didn´t find the answer to my problem.

My stuff:

Windows 7;

ISE/EDK 12.4

Spartan 3E

My problem:

Sometimes I have a good USB cable recognition and do my work in peace, and sometimes nothing makes this

cable visible for my note ("device not recognized message").

Obviously, I turn on the Spartan 3E first, wait for a 15 seconds

and only after this I connect the USB plug to the notebook.

Any help?

Thanks

Andre

0 Kudos
4 Replies
eteam00
Professor
Professor

I share your frustration with the Windows USB Platform Cable driver.  Having said that, here are two somewhat unpleasant suggestions:

1.  Downgrade from Windows 7 to Windows Vista.  ISE 12.4 officially supports Vista and XP, but not Windows 7.

2.  Install ISE 13.1, which officially supports Windows 7.  I think (not sure) the USB Platform Cable driver (Jungo windrvr6.sys) is new in ISE 13.1.  After installing ISE 13.1, you can still run ISE 12.x (for synthesis, Impact, etc.), but the 13.1 USB driver will be used for the Platform Cable "connect".

Option #2 is the course I've pursued, and so far I don't have any regrets.  I'm running Vista x64.

Hope this helps.  Believe me, I feel your pain.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
iguo
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

It's best to install ISE 13.1. Windows 7 Pro is officially supported by 13.1.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
eteam00
Professor
Professor

It's best to install ISE 13.1. Windows 7 Pro is officially supported by 13.1.

I'll emphasise what I wrote in my previous post:

You can install ISE 13.1 to install the 13.1 windows USB platform Cable driver, which officially supports Windows 7 AND you can keep using ISE 12.4.   By installing 13.1, you are not compelled to use the 13.1 tools (beyond the driver).

So, if you have concerns about the usability of 13.1, you needn't worry -- you don't need to use it.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
andremacario42
Visitor
Visitor

thanks gentlemen,

I will download 13.1.

I have Windows 7 starter, but I will try anyway.

After this I will post the results.

Thanks

Andre

0 Kudos