cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ramvoora
Visitor
Visitor

Video wall processor implementation using FPGA

I need to split an incoming video into multiple lower resolution video outputs (appropriately scaled in size) to display the input video over multiple monitors. The input is DVI and the output can be DVI/HDMI.  I am wondering if I can implement this processor using a low-cost evaluation kit such as Spartan-6 SP604 (available for $450). For a start, I would be very happy implementing a 1-to-2 splitter.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
eteam00
Instructor
Instructor

Take a look at the Digilent ATLYS board.

For followup discussion, you should post in one of the Boards and Kits forums.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
macxwear
Visitor
Visitor

I am also very interested in this topic, and would love to know how your project develops. I want to breathe some fresh air into an open-source /hacking project that has been on the back burner for some time.

I constructed a pair of "Augmented Reality" (AR) sunglasses from optics in conventional video glasses a couple of years ago. The glasses still outcompete even military grade stuff.  Sadly, the company making the hardware that was used to put the glasses together went bankrupt, so the project went to a halt.

Well, it is now time to have another go at it! "Google Glass", the latest and perhaps most promising commercial stab at useful AR, may be all fine and dandy, but in my opinion there are absolutely aspects that my old project can adress much better. Quite soon too, if reanimated. 

...To see what I'm talking about, please follow the link below (an interwiew about the project with Thomas Carpenter, a quite well known AR-blogger and writer). Hopefully it will show that I'm not just trying to sell some spam like everyone else seems to be doing these days. No. I want to do something truly useful!

http://thomaskcarpenter.com/2010/07/21/maxcware-ar-glasses-project/

0 Kudos
macxwear
Visitor
Visitor

...Maybe I should add that what is mainly lacking is splitting and spanning a HDMI/DVI source (from a smartphone) across the monitors in the glasses.

The Atlys board sounds very nice. I want it.
0 Kudos
leonardo.solis
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I am very interested in the topic as well. Particularly I am looking for (if existing) an FPGA -based platform which has many HDMI outputs. I know that the Altys board has 2 in/ 2out HDMI. However I am looking for a board at least 4 HDMI outputs or if it is possible to use HDMI daughter cards.

I was searching on the Xilinx website but I couldnt find any board with such characteristics besides the Diglent Atlys.

Best,
L30nardo SV
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
joelby
Advisor
Advisor

None that I know of, but it would be very straightforward to build an expansion board for the Atlys using the VHDCI connector. At ten signals per connector, you could add another four HDMI outputs. If you didn't care about buffering, it would just be a passive adaptor. Otherwise the TMDS141RHAR is currently $4.54 in single quantities. A competent technician could probably design the PCB for you in a couple of hours.

0 Kudos