Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Way of Device DNA Producing

Hi all,

Im wondering how this unique Device DNA numbers are produced. For example if I have a costumer that I want to sell my IP to him for 1000 of FPGA's and if I want to apply D.DNA security precautions, when he orders the FPGA's, can xilinx say that, the D.DNA of your FPGA's will be in the interval of

...XX0000 to ..XX0999 (in decimal I mean).

On the other hand, can we order FPGA's those have the spesific D.DNA values or series of .DDNA as we wish.

For example I want a 1000of FPGA which have a serie of DDNA between  ...XX0000 to ..XX0999 (in decimal I mean).

Or such a things are impossible? D.DNA is determined randomly?

If it is determined randomly, then it means we have to collect all FPGA's of our costumer, find their D.DNA values, program all FPGA's depending on their own D.DNA values and then send them back to costumer.

It is not so logical ha?

Thanks

Orhun

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Way of Device DNA Producing

Orhun,

DeviceDNA(tm) is a sequnctial number, followed by a has algorithm.  All we guarantee is uniqueness.  You can not order a DNA you would like:  we do that.

The number is tracable back to the wafer lot, and the production assembly (we can do a reverse hash).

There are user poly efuse bits that you can use for whatever you want to, by programming them yourself.  If you add these user bits, to the DNA bits, you can easily extend the identification.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Professor
Professor

Re: Way of Device DNA Producing

Think of a device DNA number like a MAC address or drive serial number in a computer.  When

software is sold, there is no way to know what these numbers will be for any customer.  However

the standard method for counting "seats" of software is to require the customer to "register"

their software, which requires providing a uniqe identifier like the MAC address.  Then a license

file isgenerated for each "seat" and the software uses some form of encryption to match

the license to the computer's MAC address and prevents its use on other computers.  The

device DNA is a simple way to have a similar licensing scheme requiring registration for

each copy of the core.  You can make this easier for the customer by allowing them to

send you the DNA in some automated fashion over the web when requesting the license.

for each device.  It gets a little harder to manage for large customers who buy licenses

in the 1,000's quantity, but it requires no additional hardware on the user's system.

-- Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos