UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor abysslover
Visitor

What are the equivalent modules in SP605 with the modules from Virtex4?

Jump to solution

I'm working on the interfacing between ADS4226EVM(from TI) and SP605. ADS4226 is dual-channel, 12-bit, 160MSPS ultralow-power ADC. I have to find a way to communicate with the board.

These are the information of ADC and evaluation board.

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/ads4226.html

http://focus.ti.com/docs/toolsw/folders/print/ads4226evm.html

This shows how TSW1200(High-speed ADC evaluation board) works.

http://e2e.ti.com/support/data_converters/high_speed_data_converters/f/68/t/47555.aspx?PageIndex=1

They are connected through FMC-ADC-ADAPTOR.

I was able to recieve the code for TSW1200, which built with Virtex-4 processor. I spent two days to analyze the verilog code with little sleep. I barely understand the whole system. I summarized the modules that is appeared on the code. However, when I applied it to Spartan 6, there were some modules missing. Some modules could have not been resolved. This is the list for them:

IDELAYCTRL, BUFR, IDDR, BUFIO, DCM_ADV, bram16x36, fifo32b, fifo16kb

What is the equivalent modules in Spartan 6? In addition, I have received ngc files for bram16x36, fifo32b, fifo16kb. I found that ngc stands for the netlist file with constraint information. Are these ngc files compatible with Spartan 6?

It is difficult for me to debug the errors. What method do you use to see the internal signal in practice? Please, tell me what keyword should I use to find the material related to FPGA debugging, especially for internal signal. Even though, my question seems a non-sense to you, please, tell me. I really do not know this field as well as you.

I found this material.

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Design-Entry/interfacing-Texas-instrumnets-with-Xilinx-FPGA/td-p/132816

Are these methods, XAPP485, XAPP774 could be applied to my problem? If so, which application note is more suitable than that?

Sorry for my too much questions.. I just do not have much time and knowledge. Thank you for reading.

Regards,

Euncheon

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Instructor
Instructor

Re: What are the equivalent modules in SP605 with the modules from Virtex4?

Jump to solution

IDELAYCTRL =>  There is no direct map to Spartan-6 primitive(s).  Read UG381 for similar capabilities in Spartan-6

BUFR  => BUFG

IDDR => IDDR2

BUFIO => BUFIO2

DCM_ADV => use clock generator wizard to replicate the clock function for Spartan-6

bram16x36 => use block ram wizard, or study Spartan-6 BRAM.

fifo32b, fifo16kb  => there are no FIFO primitives in Spartan-6.  Use FIFO generator wizard to replicate this function.

Euncheon,  For some of these V-4 primitives there is no direct Spartan-6 equivalent.  You will need to re-write some of the V-4 design.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

Your problem is very unspecific.

You haven't said what you're going to do with the conversion data once they are captured in the FPGA. That will drive a lot of the design.

It should be simple enough to RTFDS for the converter and design a hardware interface in the FPGA that can deal with it. But, again, what you do with the resulting pile of data bytes will inform your system-wide design decisions.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Visitor abysslover
Visitor

Jump to solution

My project is Implementation of an algorithm for IQ calibration circuit. The inputs are a delayed, due to the length of transmission line, 1-MHz sine and a cosine wave from a demodulator.

The outputs are a clean 1-MHz sine and cosine wave from the DDS implementation of FPGA. I've implemented DDS using AD9833 using AVR module but I do not know how to implement it in FPGA board.

The algorithm is simple.  When FPGA detects the amplitude and phase imbalance among input and output waves, respectively, it should be corrected by parameters from the IQ constellation. FPGA does a serial siganlaling to an external circuitry in order to correct the amplitude and phase. During this process, ADC samples sine and cosine waves and the samples can be drawn a circle in a IQ-constellation figure if ADC is fast enough.

For example, when I separate 1-MHz sine wave into I and Q channel with 2 MHz sampling frequency, I was able to see, ideally, only two points from the positive and negative peak in time domain. Therefore, the IQ constellation shows only two points. With 4 MHz sampling frequency, it becomes rectangular. As I higher the sampling frequency, it finally becomes a circle. Therfore, I need the samples as much as possible. That is why I bought ADS4226EVM board.

0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

IDELAYCTRL =>  There is no direct map to Spartan-6 primitive(s).  Read UG381 for similar capabilities in Spartan-6

BUFR  => BUFG

IDDR => IDDR2

BUFIO => BUFIO2

DCM_ADV => use clock generator wizard to replicate the clock function for Spartan-6

bram16x36 => use block ram wizard, or study Spartan-6 BRAM.

fifo32b, fifo16kb  => there are no FIFO primitives in Spartan-6.  Use FIFO generator wizard to replicate this function.

Euncheon,  For some of these V-4 primitives there is no direct Spartan-6 equivalent.  You will need to re-write some of the V-4 design.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.

View solution in original post

Visitor abysslover
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thank you for your answer. I have no much time right now. Your valuable response greatly relieves my stress .

Oh, I missed one more component. That is IDELAY. I guess IODELAY2 is substitute of IDELAY.

0 Kudos