Did you mean: 
canalrun
Visitor
Visitor

frequency counter reference design ISE 12.1

Jump to solution

I am using ISE 12.1.

I downloaded the frequency counter reference design

I can download the included bit file to my Spartan 3E board, and it runs successfully.

But, when I try to rebuild this example using ISE 12.1 it fails with error messages like:

XST failed:

Port <proc_reset> of instance <program rom> does not exist in definition <fc_ctrl>.

Please compare the definition of block <fc_ctrl> to its component declaration to detect the mismatch.

the reference design shows ISE 8.1 as the version being used.

I am using ISE version 12.1. Because of licensing going back to the older version is not possible.

Can someone suggest where to look for the problem or offer a solution?

Thanks,

Barry.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
eteam00
Professor
Professor

OK, I guess "regenerate cores" didn't work.  When all else fails, read the error message, I guess.

Port <proc_reset> of instance <program rom> does not exist in definition <fc_ctrl>.

Please compare the definition of block <fc_ctrl> to its component declaration to detect the mismatch.

Is there a reference to a proc_reset port in the instantiation of fc_ctrl ?  Remember that spelling and case matters.

Is there a proc_reset port in the definition of fc_ctrl ?

Is the port proc_reset connected to logic inside the definition of fc_ctrl?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
eteam00
Professor
Professor

Newer releases of ISE do not always "like" the "cores" generated in previous releases of ISE (and ISE 8 is pretty darn ancient!).

The remedy is to select the "core" in the project hierarchy pane, and then select the "Regenerate Core" option in the processes pane.  This should fix your problem.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
canalrun
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks much for your reply.

Unfortunately, when I try as you suggested, the only option having anything to do with cores is "Regenerate All Cores".

Running this, an error pops up saying "No cores found in design. Please add a core to the project before running this process".

Any other suggestions I should follow? I have tried searching through the group of files for "fc_ctrl" and other strings mentioned in the error message. It does seem to be properly defined in one of the files.

Thanks,

Barry.

0 Kudos
joelby
Advisor
Advisor

I've had some trouble regenerating very old cores in this way, so what I've done before is to remove the bad core from the project, then open the .xco files for each of the old cores in a text editor. Using Core Generator, create a brand new core with the same name using the parameters in the .xco file. 

0 Kudos
eteam00
Professor
Professor

OK, I guess "regenerate cores" didn't work.  When all else fails, read the error message, I guess.

Is there a reference to a proc_reset port in the instantiation of fc_ctrl ?  Remember that spelling and case matters.

Is there a proc_reset port in the definition of fc_ctrl ?

Is the port proc_reset connected to logic inside the definition of fc_ctrl?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
canalrun
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks.

Yes on all accounts.

I am not be VHDL expert by any means, but everything you mentioned looks good.

After spending a few more hours on this, I had to give up.

All I need is a very simple, working example to show students.

I found an example that just flashes the LEDs - good enough to demonstrate the concept.

It also had a very basic error in it, but I was able to find and solve it. It is in Verilog which is a bonus for my needs.

Thanks,

Barry.

0 Kudos
chapman
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

This subject is covered in the following PicoBlaze FAQ….

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/PicoBlaze/Starter-Kit-FAQ-ISE-only-works-with-VHD-provided-missing-signals/m-p/638

Ken Chapman
Principal Engineer, Xilinx UK
0 Kudos