UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer daitribk
Observer

how to interface between FPGA Spartan 3 and AVR

I have a project " Remote control via GSM network" in that need

interface between Spartan 3 and AVR through RS232

What do I begin?

thank for reading and advice.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Contributor
Contributor

Re: how to interface between FPGA Spartan 3 and AVR

Hi!

You should be more specific. What kind of help do you need? Are you designing custom hardware or do you have or need an evaluation board? Do you have the basic hdl knowledge neccessary or you're looking for absoloute beginners tutorials? Are you familiar with xilinx (and atmel) software tools?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer daitribk
Observer

I have a project is "remote control via GSM networks" must using Spartan 3, GSM modem and AVR. Controlled devices is 8 led in Spartan 3. I need interface RS232 between Spartan 3 and AVR to transmit data to aVR to process.

I use 4 SW7-4 to choose location devices display to led 7 segment AN3 and

SW3-0 to choose time to led go out 

I need to transmit all  data to AVR to process.

I am using Xilinx ISE 10.1,controller AVR  almega62  and Verilog HDL

How do I do?

thanks

best regards,

Message Edited by daitribk on 12-28-2009 07:15 PM
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Are you sure the FPGA is the master device or would the AVR send something over UART to the FPGA to control some LEDS etc?

If you have the choice, you might want to go for an SPI type of interface between the AVR and the FPGA where the AVR is the master and the FPGA signals events by asserting a pin of the AVR that would act as interrupt notification to the MCU.

If you want to get started fast, see if you can find some prefabricated stuff like for the UART and GPIO and build a little system with it. Xilinx has some IP in coregen or you can have a look at sites like OpenCores.

Cheers,

Johan

0 Kudos