UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

platform usb cable on sp601

I am trying to use the jtag interface on sp601.

I have platform cablue USB and i have connected the flying leads to the SPI Prog Header on the sp601.

I am using ISE 12.1.

When i try to use impact to start downloading it gives me this error.

Attempting to identify devices in the boundary-scan chain configuration...
INFO:iMPACT - Current time: Mon Jun 20 13:34:49 2011
// *** BATCH CMD : Identify -inferir
PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation.
Identifying chain contents...done.
ERROR:iMPACT - A problem may exist in the hardware configuration. Check that the cable, scan chain, and power connections are intact, that the specified scan chain configuration matches the actual hardware, and that the power supply is adequate and delivering the correct voltage.
PROGRESS_END - End Operation.

I have checked the connections, the status led on the platform usb cable is green.

Is platform cable usb compatible with sp601 board fpga or do i need a newer version like platform cable usb II?

Would appreciate if some one can help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: platform usb cable on sp601

J12 is used to program SPI flash, if you want to identify devices by JTAG, please choose J10, mini usb cable, and this is describled in Figure 1-16, in UG518.

Thanks
Simon
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Newbie bmyers77

This may be what I am seeing.  I have an SP601 with the USB cable connected to J10 and the PC recognizes the hardware.   When I go into iMpact to setup the project, the cable is unrecognized....

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,
DirectSPI is not JTAG. You can't initialize the chain. You need to enter DirectSPI Mode in iMPACT.
And, this function is took off after ISE10.
So, use JTAG indirect programming instead.
XiBin
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor leiwei
Visitor

I could program FPGA via integrated USB JTAG interface (J10).

But, is it possible to connect standard JTAG cable (such as classic parallel JTAG cable) to SP601?

Thank you!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

I could program FPGA via integrated USB JTAG interface (J10).

This should also allow you to program the flash memory on the board, using IMPACT.

But, is it possible to connect standard JTAG cable (such as classic parallel JTAG cable) to SP601?

Just check the fine schematics.  If it's there, it should be easy for you to find.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos