UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor akur061
Visitor

xapp495 Atlys help

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am new to verilog and I tried implementing the xapp495 on a Digilent Atlys board. I have searched the forums and have seen other people implement it fine.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp495_S6TMDS_Video_Interface.pdf

However when I add the .v files into a new ISE project and try compiling it, the project will fail at the "implement design" stage. There are 5 errors (all in same format as shown below) referring to switches or LEDS 3,2,1 and DEBUG1.

"ERROR:MapLib:30 - LOC constraint D14 on SW<1> is invalid: No such site on the
   device. To bypass this error set the environment variable 'XIL_MAP_LOCWARN'."

I am using the ucf file provided by the xapp495 project and they seem to be correctly matching the pins shown in the manual for the Atlys board. My question is how can i resolve this simple error? I am pretty sure it's a simple error which doesn't require the setting of the XIL_MAP_LOCWARN variable as i've read that this wont solve the problem. The family I am using to generate the file is xc6slx45.

Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar joelby
Scholar

Re: xapp495 Atlys help

Jump to solution

Which package are you targeting (Project, Design Properties)? For the Atlys, you should be using

• Device XC6SLX45
  • Package: CSG324
  • Speed: -2

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Scholar joelby
Scholar

Jump to solution

Which package are you targeting (Project, Design Properties)? For the Atlys, you should be using

• Device XC6SLX45
  • Package: CSG324
  • Speed: -2

View solution in original post

Visitor akur061
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks Joelby, that did the job. With that out of the way, I was able to edit the colourbar generator to output my own patterns. Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck writing to the Atlys's DDR2 memory and then reading the values into the xapp495 project to display? I know that there's a tft core which is supposed to output from the memory to HMDI, but I dont think i have the correct license for it.

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Jump to solution

I know that there's a tft core which is supposed to output from the memory to HMDI

I believe the tft core to which you refer will format output to a Chrontel CH7301C DVI/HDMI video encoder.  If there isn't a Chrontel device on the Atlys board, then the tft core may not suit your needs.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Visitor akur061
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply, Bob. I believe there isn't a Chrontel device on the Atlys board, even though the reference manual for the Atlys does state the xps_tft core can be used. I was reading another topic on this forum, and Joelby stated that the manual was most likely wrong.

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Spartan-Family-FPGAs/Atlys-Spartan-6-HDMI-output-query/td-p/128370

0 Kudos