UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

DCM lock status output

Jump to solution

Hello Xilinx,

(using a Spartan 3A 400A)

I just want to clarify the Dcm Lock status output.  If using any signals output from the DCM the user should check at all times to see the lock is high before assigning the outputting clocks?

For example,

I have a DCM :

DCM_SP_inst : DCM_SP
   generic map (
      CLKDV_DIVIDE => 15.0, --  Divide by: 1.5,2.0,2.5,3.0,3.5,4.0,4.5,5.0,5.5,6.0,6.5
                           --     7.0,7.5,8.0,9.0,10.0,11.0,12.0,13.0,14.0,15.0 or 16.0
      CLKFX_DIVIDE => 1,   --  Can be any interger from 1 to 32
      CLKFX_MULTIPLY => 5, --  Can be any integer from 1 to 32
      CLKIN_DIVIDE_BY_2 => FALSE, --  TRUE/FALSE to enable CLKIN divide by two feature
      CLKIN_PERIOD => 40.0, --  Specify period of input clock
      CLKOUT_PHASE_SHIFT => "NONE", --  Specify phase shift of "NONE", "FIXED" or "VARIABLE"
      CLK_FEEDBACK => "1X",         --  Specify clock feedback of "NONE", "1X" or "2X"
      DESKEW_ADJUST => "SYSTEM_SYNCHRONOUS", -- "SOURCE_SYNCHRONOUS", "SYSTEM_SYNCHRONOUS" or
                                             --     an integer from 0 to 15
      DLL_FREQUENCY_MODE => "LOW",     -- "HIGH" or "LOW" frequency mode for DLL
      DUTY_CYCLE_CORRECTION => TRUE, --  Duty cycle correction, TRUE or FALSE
      PHASE_SHIFT => 0,        --  Amount of fixed phase shift from -255 to 255
      STARTUP_WAIT => FALSE) --  Delay configuration DONE until DCM_SP LOCK, TRUE/FALSE
   port map (
      CLK0 => clk_fb,     -- 0 degree DCM CLK ouptput
      CLK180 => open, -- 180 degree DCM CLK output
      CLK270 => open, -- 270 degree DCM CLK output
      CLK2X => clk50,   -- 2X DCM CLK output
      CLK2X180 => open, -- 2X, 180 degree DCM CLK out
      CLK90 => open,   -- 90 degree DCM CLK output
      CLKDV => clkdiv15,   -- Divided DCM CLK out (CLKDV_DIVIDE)
      CLKFX => clk125,   -- DCM CLK synthesis out (M/D)
      CLKFX180 => open, -- 180 degree CLK synthesis out
      LOCKED => clk_lock, -- DCM LOCK status output
      PSDONE => open, -- Dynamic phase adjust done output
      STATUS => open, -- 8-bit DCM status bits output
      CLKFB => clk_fb,   -- DCM clock feedback
      CLKIN => clk_25Mhz,   -- Clock input (from IBUFG, BUFG or DCM)
      PSCLK => open,   -- Dynamic phase adjust clock input
      PSEN => open,     -- Dynamic phase adjust enable input
      PSINCDEC => open, -- Dynamic phase adjust increment/decrement
      RST => '0'      -- DCM asynchronous reset input
   );

and I have these statements:

clk50MHz <= clk50 when clk_lock = '1' else '0';
clk125MHz <= clk125 when clk_lock = '1' else '0';
clkdiv_15 <= clkdiv15 when clk_lock = '1' else '0';

Is this a reasonable thing to do?  What is the normal practice with the DCM lock?  I am just trying to fully understand the DCM.  Does my dcm instantiation look correct? 

Thanks

For the help

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: DCM lock status output

Jump to solution

c,

Your last three statements are not required, and will probably cause all sorts of problems.

LOCKED means the clocks are valid.  If you are not locked, there is nothing that can be said about the outputs (they may, or may not be toggling, and the frequencies and duty cycles are nothing useful, or even predictable).

If you wish to switch clocks, you should use the BUFGMUX (look it up).  Generally speaking, this is not needed -- nothing "bad" happens if a clock is indeterminate to the logic or flip flops -- it just doesn't do what you want it to.

So one ould follow each output with a BUFGMUX, and switch to a valid clock, based on the status.  Or one can use a BUFGCE, and turn off, and on, global clocks, based on the status (but again, it is most often not required to do this).

Also, LOCKED is only valid, if the DCM has an input clock (it is synchronous). So the other very useful status bit is CLOCK_LOST which asserts if there is no clock (and none of the other status bits are valid if the clock is lost, so ALWAYS check this first!).

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

c,

Your last three statements are not required, and will probably cause all sorts of problems.

LOCKED means the clocks are valid.  If you are not locked, there is nothing that can be said about the outputs (they may, or may not be toggling, and the frequencies and duty cycles are nothing useful, or even predictable).

If you wish to switch clocks, you should use the BUFGMUX (look it up).  Generally speaking, this is not needed -- nothing "bad" happens if a clock is indeterminate to the logic or flip flops -- it just doesn't do what you want it to.

So one ould follow each output with a BUFGMUX, and switch to a valid clock, based on the status.  Or one can use a BUFGCE, and turn off, and on, global clocks, based on the status (but again, it is most often not required to do this).

Also, LOCKED is only valid, if the DCM has an input clock (it is synchronous). So the other very useful status bit is CLOCK_LOST which asserts if there is no clock (and none of the other status bits are valid if the clock is lost, so ALWAYS check this first!).

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

Austin is correct about gating the clock outputs with the DCM locked signal. It's bad.

Here's what I do. I use the DCM locked as the async reset of a small shift register. The various DCM clock outputs each clock such a shift register. The shift registers create a synchronous reset in each of the clock domains. Something like this:

signal iReset50_sr : std_logic_vector(3 downto 0);

alias sReset50     : std_logic is iReset50_sr(iReset50_sr'left);

-- an async reset is needed here because the clock won't be

-- running when the DCM isn't locked.

Reset50MHz : process (clk50, dcmLocked) is

begin

if dcmLocked = '0' then

iReset50_sr <= (others => '1'); -- assume active-high reset downstream

elsif rising_edge(clk50) then

iReset50_sr <= iReset50_sr(iReset50_sr'left - 1 downto 0) & '0';

end if;

end process Reset50MHz;

-- some process which runs on the 50 MHz clock and needs a reset. 

-- Note reset is synchronous.

MyLogic : process(clk50) is

begin

if rising_edge(clk50) then

if sReset50 = '1' then

myFlopFoo   <= '0';

myVectorBar <= (others => '0');

else

if bletch = '1' then

myFlopFoo   <= bazinga;

myVectorBar <= bogus;

end if;

end if;

end process MyLogic;

So you do one of those little shift registers for each clock domain. The length of the shift register is somewhat arbitrary; if it's 16 or less it'll fit into an SRL16 and use only one LUT. 

The point of all of this is that the stuff clocked by the DCM outputs gets reset properly once the clocks start running, since the reset is held asserted for a few clocks. 

if you really need to ensure that downstream stuff goes to a known benign state when the clocks are not running, you can use the shift register's output as an async reset. 

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the explanation A and B. 

I like the way you are doing the synchronous reset based on dcm_locked. 

I knew what I suggested was wrong but it seemed the easiest way to ask the question :).

In my particular application I do not want to reset based on a DCM losing lock.  I would however like to Log a fault, so instead of using it to gate my clock, I will just store the lock in a register and write it to my flash to log the status of dcm lock.  I already have other mechanisms in my system that will trigger other faults if the clock's start working unproperly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor jwilkinson7
Visitor

Jump to solution

Austin, you said:

"Also, LOCKED is only valid, if the DCM has an input clock (it is synchronous). So the other very useful status bit is CLOCK_LOST which asserts if there is no clock (and none of the other status bits are valid if the clock is lost, so ALWAYS check this first!)."

Where is the CLOCK_LOST status?  

I'm using a Virtex-5, not a spartan, but I don't see any such status output on the DCM.

It'd be useful to have, since right now I'm trying to figure out why the DCM's LOCKED output doesn't go to 0 when I force the input clk to a steady 0 in simulation.   (not sure yet if it works any better in real hardware)  

I'm trying to provide some decent clock status and if there is a CLOCK_LOST somewhere, I'd sure love to know where/how.

thanks

jeff

--
jeff wilkinson
jwilkinson@mail.com
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello Jeff,

In fact, de DCM LOCKED does not go low when the input clock stopped. The locked signal keeps his logic '1' vaue.

The CLKIN stopped status is indicated by the DO(1) bit. See UG190 page 56.

Good luck,

Jasper

0 Kudos