UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor newtham
Visitor

Spartan 6 Flash Memory Recommendations

Hi everyone,

I am moving an old Spartan 3 circuit design to the Spartan 6, and I am trying to decide the best way to provide the programming flash memory.  I am using ISE 14.7 and my program can easily fit on a 4Mb chip.

We are currently using the Xilinx XCF-type flash, programed in-system by JTAG.  However, this ties us to that series of Xilinx flash ICs (right?), which are sometimes hard to get.  The SPI method is intriguing to me, but compatibility seems to be an issue (since the list of compatible PROMs in iMPACT is almost entirely obsolete).  I know very little about BPI, but maybe(?).  I'd like to stick with in-circuit flashing, if possible (factory pre-programming is not an option in my case), but a last resort could be an externally programmed DIP– later placed in a socket.  As this is essentially a new design, I am wide open to suggestions.

Anyway, I am not looking for someone to "solve" my problem for me.  But if anyone has been in my shoes already, and has some advice, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you!
Robert

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Spartan 6 Flash Memory Recommendations

Hi @newtham,

This forum discussion may be useful for you: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Configuration/Choosing-Flash-Memory/m-p/718514/highlight/true#M5391

Rgeards,

Bhushan

Regards,
Bhushan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor newtham
Visitor

Re: Spartan 6 Flash Memory Recommendations

Thanks. For now I've decided to try the Cypress S25L-L line. If I remember, I will try to come back here and post about how it goes.
0 Kudos