UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor haunma
Visitor

Spartan 6 power design with Vcco applied long before Vccint, Vccaux

Jump to solution

I know the issue of power-supply sequencing has come up before, but my question is more specific:

Xilinx says there is no required sequencing between Vcco, Vccint, and Vccaux on Spartan 6.  At the same time, they still have a "recommended" sequence, and the datasheet doesn't specify things like quiescent current on some power pins when other power pins are at 0V.

I'm designing a Spartan-6 daughterboard with 3.3, 2.5, 1.8, and 1.2-volt power requirements.  The 1.8V is Vcco for a couple of IO banks.  I'll have my own power supply (from 5V) for all but the 1.8V rail.  This I plan on grabbing from an expansion connector I'm plugging into.  The other rails won't come up until commanded via i2c.  What this means is that the FPGA could see Vcco powered for a long time--potentially hours or days--before Vccint and Vccaux come online.  By a literal reading of the Xilinx docs, this is fine.  But it makes me a bit nervous, because I don't have a spec for the quiescent power on Vcco when the other supplies are zero, and because most discussion of power sequencing is in the context of microseconds or milliseconds, not kiloseconds.

Any words of caution (substantiated by reasons why)?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Spartan 6 power design with Vcco applied long before Vccint, Vccaux

Jump to solution

The S-6 recomendation of Vccint first is becuase when Vcco is powerd first the pullups may be enabled in the IOs.  Now, if there are a lot of pulldowns on the board this is where the quiesent current will come from .  You should be able to measure this and it should be static over time.  30 sec after power up should be the same as 30 days after power up of Vcco only.

The parts are really robust and I wouldn't worry about the S-6 part at all on this one and as long as you measure the current on the power rail you should have a good understanding of how the parts will behave. 

5 Replies
Visitor haunma
Visitor

Jump to solution

Is there a Xilinx engineer in the house?

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

@haunma wrote:

Is there a Xilinx engineer in the house?

If immediate answers are required, contact your local FAE or open a WebCase.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Visitor haunma
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks bassman, I will pursue a WebCase, but I thought the answer might be of general interest.  I don't need an immediate answer, but I was kinda hoping for *an* answer :)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

The S-6 recomendation of Vccint first is becuase when Vcco is powerd first the pullups may be enabled in the IOs.  Now, if there are a lot of pulldowns on the board this is where the quiesent current will come from .  You should be able to measure this and it should be static over time.  30 sec after power up should be the same as 30 days after power up of Vcco only.

The parts are really robust and I wouldn't worry about the S-6 part at all on this one and as long as you measure the current on the power rail you should have a good understanding of how the parts will behave. 

Visitor haunma
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks!  That's what I needed to know.

0 Kudos