UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Work Around for MIG for Spartan 6 TQG144 package

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Visitor
Accepted Solution

Work Around for MIG for Spartan 6 TQG144 package

I recently purchased a board that came with a xilinx spartan 6 XC6SLX9 TQG144 package and a 256MBIT SDRAM, I've tried using the MIG core generator, but it seems that the TQG144 package is not supported, and reading through the user guide revealed that this package has 0 MCBs; is there any work around to this problem (Or did the board manufacturer make a big mistake by putting the SDRAM on the board)?.

Accepted Solutions
Scholar

Re: Work Around for MIG for Spartan 6 TQG144 package

I'd probably have a look over on OpenCores. First result I found: 16-bit SDRAM controller. That one has been tested on the XC6SLX9, so it looks like an ideal place to begin.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Scholar

The MCB doesn't support standard SDRAM anyway; only DDR/DDR2/DDR3. It's used for these interfaces because they need performance higher than the programmable logic can provide - at least without a huge amount of very careful tuning.

For standard SDRAM running at maybe 100MHz, the programmable logic is quite fast enough to do what you need. However, you do need to write a memory controller to utilize it.

Visitor

Thank you for your reply... I was wondering if there was anywhere you could point me to as creating a custom controller In my case
Scholar

I'd probably have a look over on OpenCores. First result I found: 16-bit SDRAM controller. That one has been tested on the XC6SLX9, so it looks like an ideal place to begin.

Visitor

Thank you very much, I'm so grateful