UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

asynchronous reset implementation with latch instaed of register

asynchronous reset implementation with latch instaed of register

Hi,

I have a very basic question about the implementation of Verilog statements into RTL.  Specifically, I am wondering how asynchronous resets are implemented.

In my example, I have a counter. When it receives a reset signal I want to store its count value (in a separate register) and reset the counter.

I am using a Digilent BASYS board with a Spartan 3E and the module below works fine when actually testing it and does exactly what it is supposed to do: it assigns count_int (internal counts) to count_final at the negative edge of reset and resets the counter.

module BCounterwAsyncWorks(trig, reset, count_int, count_final);

input trig;

input reset;

output reg[3:0] count_int = 0;

output reg [3:0] count_final = 0;

always@(posedge trig or negedge reset) begin

if( reset == 0) begin

count_int <= 0;

end

else begin

count_int <= count_int + 1;

end                              

end

always@( negedge reset) begin

count_final <= count_int;

end

endmodule

Here is what is puzzling me: By making one small change to the code above, it no longer works, i.e., count final always remains at 0:  See below:

module BCounterwAsyncAlone(trig, reset, count_int, count_final);

input trig;

input reset;

output reg[3:0] count_int = 0;

output reg [3:0] count_final = 0;

always@(posedge trig or negedge reset) begin

if( reset == 0) begin

count_int <= 0;

count_final <= count_int;  //CHANGE / ADDITION

end

else begin

count_int <= count_int + 1;

end                              

end

endmodule

Note, the only thing I did was to move the “count_final <= count_int;” into the previous always block.

First, when I tested the actual hardware circuit, I made sure that the reset and trig pulses NEVER overlapped.  I understand that for some conditions of overlap, for example, if trig goes LO when reset is 0, the output count_final will be 0.  So let’s not consider these cases and only try to discuss only what happens when reset and trig are non-overlapping.

Second, when I create a timing diagram of the circuit in the Xilinx ISE simulator, it does exactly what I expect it to do, i.e., count_final always is identical to count_int at the reset.

Third, and most interestingly, I did check the RTL implementation of the circuit.  In the first module shown above, the one that works, the non-blocking assignment of the count_int to count_final is (not surprisingly) carried out using a D-Type flip-flop, i.e. FD.  (Sorry wasn't able to post schematic below.)

In the module that does not work, the second one, the non-blocking assignment of  count_final <= count_int; uses an LD, a transparent latch with a negated clock input, i.e., it sees a positive edge input.  Since this type of latch will only hold its value on the negative edge, it makes sense why the hardware version never worked.

So what I don’t understand, why would does the Xilinx Webpack ISE implement the second Verilog module using a transparent latch?  Can anyone enlighten me on this?  Thanks for your help,

Kurt