Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

2D Array of System Verilog Interfaces

Jump to solution

I'm using 2017.4 and though UG901 says that Array of Interfaces is Not Supported, I have been successfully using 1D arrays for a while now. 

Example:

bus my_bus[2] ();

However when I try to generate a 2D array of interfaces it fails in Elaboration.

bus my_bus[2][2] ();

Any idea when this will be supported?

Attached a test case to show this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Re: 2D Array of System Verilog Interfaces

Jump to solution

Vivado support for multi-dimensional arrays of interfaces is spotty.

We've successfully used single dimensional arrays of interfaces with Vivado Synthesis and it's fully supported.  Our designs have had them, and used since one of the 2015 Vivado releases.

We are using 2D arrays of interfaces too, but it's limited.

Vivado appears to only allow you to index a single (left most, most varying) dimension PER module.  I know that's a bit cryptic.  But Vivado will allow 2-d arrays-of-interface instantiates, and declarations within portlists.  From your examples:

module top()

bus bus2d[3:0][2:0]

submodule sub1 ( .s_bus2d( bus2d ) )

endmodule

module submodule
#( 
  parameter ARRAY1 = 4,
  parameter ARRAY0 = 3
)
(
  bus.s s_bus2d[ ARRAY1 - 1 : 0 ] [ ARRAY0 - 1 : 0 ]
);

generate
  for( genvar i = 0; i < ARRAY1; i++ )
  begin : iter_i
    low_level low_level1( .s_bus1d( s_bus2d[ i ] ) );
  end
endgenerate

endmodule

I left out the low_level module - but it has a 1-d array of interfaces.  Hopefully you get the picture.

But Vivado wouldn't let you directly index into both dimensions.  You need to do the "slice" as above to slice off one dimension on it's way down to a lower level.

Hopefully that's clear.  It's been on the list of things I wanted to ask Xilinx to address, but lower down for us, since we could work with it like above for our few use cases.

Regards,

Mark

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

Vivado support for multi-dimensional arrays of interfaces is spotty.

We've successfully used single dimensional arrays of interfaces with Vivado Synthesis and it's fully supported.  Our designs have had them, and used since one of the 2015 Vivado releases.

We are using 2D arrays of interfaces too, but it's limited.

Vivado appears to only allow you to index a single (left most, most varying) dimension PER module.  I know that's a bit cryptic.  But Vivado will allow 2-d arrays-of-interface instantiates, and declarations within portlists.  From your examples:

module top()

bus bus2d[3:0][2:0]

submodule sub1 ( .s_bus2d( bus2d ) )

endmodule

module submodule
#( 
  parameter ARRAY1 = 4,
  parameter ARRAY0 = 3
)
(
  bus.s s_bus2d[ ARRAY1 - 1 : 0 ] [ ARRAY0 - 1 : 0 ]
);

generate
  for( genvar i = 0; i < ARRAY1; i++ )
  begin : iter_i
    low_level low_level1( .s_bus1d( s_bus2d[ i ] ) );
  end
endgenerate

endmodule

I left out the low_level module - but it has a 1-d array of interfaces.  Hopefully you get the picture.

But Vivado wouldn't let you directly index into both dimensions.  You need to do the "slice" as above to slice off one dimension on it's way down to a lower level.

Hopefully that's clear.  It's been on the list of things I wanted to ask Xilinx to address, but lower down for us, since we could work with it like above for our few use cases.

Regards,

Mark

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks for the workaround and detailed workaround. I'll try to ask Xilinx to support this - lets see.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Hi,

While looking into LRM about range specification for array of instances, it says-
"An array of instances shall have a continuous range. One instance identifier shall be associated with only one range to declare an array of instances."

In that case support for 2D array of instance looks like a fallacious request?

-Shreyas
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try to search answer for your issue in forums or xilinx user guides before you post a new thread.

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided solves your query.
Give Kudos (star provided in right) to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

Firstly, we're talking about an Array of INTERFACES not an array of INSTANCES.

The section you quote is from part of the Verilog spec talking about the latter. 

Secondly, the array range is continuous - there's no discontinuity in range.  It's just organized in more than one dimension. 

In fact, I'm pretty sure Vivado handles multi-dimensional INSTANCES just fine.  I'm fairly sure I'm using these (without interfaces) in my code today, without issue.

EDIT: Just checked - yes we're using this quite -a bit - a multi-dimensional array of INSTANCES - and Vivado handles this just fine in synthesis.

It's valid SystemVerilog code to have a multi-dimensional array of interfaces, and should be supported by synthesis.

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion here. The request of support for multiple dimensional array of interfaces is valid and I filed CR for this issue. It is fixed in next release of tool.

-Shreyas 

Try to search answer for your issue in forums or xilinx user guides before you post a new thread.

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided solves your query.
Give Kudos (star provided in right) to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos