UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

32-bit float in verilog?

Jump to solution

As far as I know Verilog 2000 has the (32-bit) shortfloat type that Vivado doesn't recognize...

Am I missing an include or is there any alias or is not possible to have 32-bit floats in Vivado?

Note: I tried both shortfloat and short float.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Scholar markcurry
Scholar

Re: 32-bit float in verilog?

Jump to solution

First - there's is no "float" nor "shortfloat" in Verilog (or SystemVerilog).  Perhaps you're thinking of "real" and "shortreal".

As to (RTL) synthesis of floating-point types - it's not supported by Vivado Synthesis (nor any synthesizer that I'm aware of).  Exceptions would be for constant calcululations only (i.e. literals or parameters)

For HLS synthesis - you'll probably better off moving or asking this question over on the HLS forums.

Regards,

Mark

4 Replies
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Jump to solution

@satguy,

I did not find anything like that in the UG801 Vivado synthesis guide. Therefore I would conclude that it is not supported.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Neither I did. I'm interfacing HDL with AXI4-Stream IP blocks from HLS. HLS supports float streams with 32-bit data. How can one then write HDL for these?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar markcurry
Scholar

Jump to solution

First - there's is no "float" nor "shortfloat" in Verilog (or SystemVerilog).  Perhaps you're thinking of "real" and "shortreal".

As to (RTL) synthesis of floating-point types - it's not supported by Vivado Synthesis (nor any synthesizer that I'm aware of).  Exceptions would be for constant calcululations only (i.e. literals or parameters)

For HLS synthesis - you'll probably better off moving or asking this question over on the HLS forums.

Regards,

Mark

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

True, is 'real' not 'float'

In the meantime I created another HLS IP block doing what I needed: generating some values and sending by an AXI Stream. I wanted to do it in the test bench.

0 Kudos