UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie alexmakarov

7-serives issue. FD and FD_1 are optimised into IDDR

Jump to solution

I am trying to implement Xapp1015 on a 7-series device. 

I am encountering  a problem when FD and FD_1 are optimised into IDDR by Vivado.

My code explicitly instantiates FDs and FD_1s  which then location constrained in the XDC as follows:

QF0 : FD_1
port map (
Q => QF(0), -- Data output
C => CLK270(0), -- Clock input
D => asi_rx -- Data input
);
QF1 : FD_1
port map (
Q => QF(1), -- Data output
C => CLK270(1), -- Clock input
);
QF2 : FD_1
port map (
Q => QF(2), -- Data output
C => CLK270(2), -- Clock input
);
QF3 : FD_1
port map (
Q => QF(3), -- Data output
C => CLK270(3), -- Clock input
);

QR0 : FD
port map (
Q => QR(0), -- Data output
C => CLK270(0), -- Clock input
);
QR1 : FD
port map (
Q => QR(1), -- Data output
C => CLK270(1), -- Clock input
);
QR2 : FD
port map (
Q => QR(2), -- Data output
C => CLK270(2), -- Clock input
);
QR3 : FD
port map (
Q => QR(3), -- Data output
C => CLK270(3), -- Clock input
);

My XDC constraints:

set_property LOC SLICE_X0Y73 [get_cells {*/u_asi_lvds_rx/dru_8phase/QR0}];
set_property LOC SLICE_X0Y74 [get_cells {*/u_asi_lvds_rx/dru_8phase/QF0}];
set_property LOC SLICE_X1Y73 [get_cells {*/u_asi_lvds_rx/dru_8phase/QR1}];
set_property LOC SLICE_X1Y74 [get_cells {*/u_asi_lvds_rx/dru_8phase/QF1}];
set_property LOC SLICE_X2Y73 [get_cells {*/u_asi_lvds_rx/dru_8phase/QR2}];
set_property LOC SLICE_X2Y74 [get_cells {*/u_asi_lvds_rx/dru_8phase/QF2}];
set_property LOC SLICE_X3Y73 [get_cells {*/u_asi_lvds_rx/dru_8phase/QR3}];
set_property LOC SLICE_X3Y74 [get_cells {*/u_asi_lvds_rx/dru_8phase/QF3}];

The result is that QR0 and QR1 are optimised into IDDR and are not placed into X0Y73 and X0Y77 as specified in the XDC.

pacement.jpg 

A solution was proposed here for ISE and a Spartan Device:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Spartan-Family-FPGAs/Spartan-6-issue-FD-FD-1-optimized-to-an-IDDR2/td-p/467374

However it does not seem to work in Vivado and Virtex-7.    How do I prevent a FD and FD_1 being optimised into IDDR?

Please advise.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Historian
Historian

Re: 7-serives issue. FD and FD_1 are optimised into IDDR

Jump to solution

You could try putting a DONT_TOUCH property on the flip-flops, but I am not sure this is the best approach...

Trying to oversample a signal by using multiple flip-flops with different clock phases is not very precise - the delay of routing from the IBUF to the different flip-flops is hard to control (as you are seeing).

A better solution is to oversample it with only one sampling device - the most obvious choice is the ISERDES. The ISERDES already has an "OVERSAMPLE" mode, which allows you to get 4 samples per "clock"as long as you have both a 0degree and 90degree version of the same clock (through the same type of clock buffer). Alternatively, (unless the frequency is too high), you can generate a 1x clock and a 4x clock, and use the ISERDES in 8:1 deserialization with DDR mode - this will generate 8 evenly spaced samples of your incoming signal in one low speed clock.

Avrum

2 Replies
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

You could try putting a DONT_TOUCH property on the flip-flops, but I am not sure this is the best approach...

Trying to oversample a signal by using multiple flip-flops with different clock phases is not very precise - the delay of routing from the IBUF to the different flip-flops is hard to control (as you are seeing).

A better solution is to oversample it with only one sampling device - the most obvious choice is the ISERDES. The ISERDES already has an "OVERSAMPLE" mode, which allows you to get 4 samples per "clock"as long as you have both a 0degree and 90degree version of the same clock (through the same type of clock buffer). Alternatively, (unless the frequency is too high), you can generate a 1x clock and a 4x clock, and use the ISERDES in 8:1 deserialization with DDR mode - this will generate 8 evenly spaced samples of your incoming signal in one low speed clock.

Avrum

Jump to solution

Hi Alex,

I am able to make things work for Kintex-7 (which should be similar to Virtex-7) by doing the following:

As suggest in the referenced Spartan-6 post, your VHDL should have something like the following:

signal QF, QR : std_logic_vector(3 downto 0);

ATTRIBUTE IOB : string;
    ATTRIBUTE IOB of QF, QR : signal is "FALSE";

Next, your XDC LOC constraints should be similar to the following:

set_property LOC SLICE_X0Y73 [get_cells {*/u_asi_lvds_rx/dru_8phase/QR_reg[0]}];
set_property LOC SLICE_X0Y74 [get_cells {*/u_asi_lvds_rx/dru_8phase/QF_reg[0]}];

...note use of QR_reg[0] and QF_reg[0] instead of QR0 and QF0 (that you used).

Please consider Avrum's suggestions about ISERDES.

Mark