UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor waqarshahid
Visitor

Adder and Shifter using Blocking and non-Blocking Assignments

Jump to solution

My Question is related to synthesizes of my Verilog Code below is a module names as addshifter which when synthesis just make a shifter. please note i have used non-blocking statements. but the code shows that I am making a adder first and then a shifter that will shift the values of Areg. Now If I replace the non-blocking statement with the blocking statements. the Synthesizes tools makes an adder 4-bit and a 4-bit register shifter.

I want to ask why is this so.... I could not fiqure it out why it works well with blocking assignments and not with non-blocking assignments. This was a test program I made to check. I was having a same problem while i was coding a multiplier of the add & shift type. 

module addshifter(A,B,clk,rst)

input [3:0] A;

input clk,rst;

output [3:0] B;

reg [3:0] Areg;

assign B = Areg;

always @ (posedge clk or posedge rst)

begin

if(rst)

Areg <= A;

else

Areg <= Areg +1;

Areg <= Areg <<1;

end

endmodule 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Re: Adder and Shifter using Blocking and non-Blocking Assignments

Jump to solution

The Verilog code is doing the proper action for a non-blocking assignment.  If you look at the

Verilog spec, the last non-blocking assignment in a block wins.  Thus

always @(posedge clk)

begin

A <= 1;

A <= 0;

end

will correctly assign the value of 0 to A both in simulation and synthesis.  Why?  Because for non-blocking,the last

assignment wins. Verilog performs the following operations at each time step:

a) evaluate the Right Hand Side (RHS) of all non-blocking assignments and save the results in temporary variables.

b) assign the temporary variables to the final variables.

This is a simplification, but gives you the general idea as to what is going on.

This method insures that operations like:

always @(posedge clk)

begin

A <= 0;

B <= A;

C <= B;

D <= C;

end

operate correctly.   Try simulating the above logic both with blocking & non-blocking assignments.  When you

understand why the two assignment styles work differently, you'll understand why your example works the

way it does.

A simple rule of thumb that many people follow *most* of the time is

"always use non-blockig assignment in sequential (clocked) logic"

"always use blocking assignments in  combinatorial logic"

but... rules are meant to be broken sometimes!

I hope this helps.  You really need to understand this fundamental the reason for the 2 different assignment styles.

John Providenza

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Re: Adder and Shifter using Blocking and non-Blocking Assignments

Jump to solution

The Verilog code is doing the proper action for a non-blocking assignment.  If you look at the

Verilog spec, the last non-blocking assignment in a block wins.  Thus

always @(posedge clk)

begin

A <= 1;

A <= 0;

end

will correctly assign the value of 0 to A both in simulation and synthesis.  Why?  Because for non-blocking,the last

assignment wins. Verilog performs the following operations at each time step:

a) evaluate the Right Hand Side (RHS) of all non-blocking assignments and save the results in temporary variables.

b) assign the temporary variables to the final variables.

This is a simplification, but gives you the general idea as to what is going on.

This method insures that operations like:

always @(posedge clk)

begin

A <= 0;

B <= A;

C <= B;

D <= C;

end

operate correctly.   Try simulating the above logic both with blocking & non-blocking assignments.  When you

understand why the two assignment styles work differently, you'll understand why your example works the

way it does.

A simple rule of thumb that many people follow *most* of the time is

"always use non-blockig assignment in sequential (clocked) logic"

"always use blocking assignments in  combinatorial logic"

but... rules are meant to be broken sometimes!

I hope this helps.  You really need to understand this fundamental the reason for the 2 different assignment styles.

John Providenza

0 Kudos