UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Application Exception when running Post-Synthesis Simulation

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Observer
Accepted Solution

Application Exception when running Post-Synthesis Simulation

[ Edited ]

Vivado (2017.1 and 2017.3.1) throws the following exception when I run the post-synthesis simulation on my design:

ERROR: [Common 17-70] Application Exception: getAndUpdateDefaultGUIDesignGraph: nullptr supplied!

while executing
"get_files -compile_order sources -used_in synthesis_post -of_objects [get_filesets $a_sim_vars(s_simset)]"
    (procedure "usf_get_files_for_compilation_post_sim" line 80)
    invoked from within
"usf_get_files_for_compilation_post_sim $global_files_str"
    (procedure "::tclapp::xilinx::xsim::usf_get_files_for_compilation" line 18)
    invoked from within
"::tclapp::xilinx::xsim::usf_get_files_for_compilation global_files_str"
    (procedure "usf_xsim_setup_simulation" line 70)
    invoked from within
"usf_xsim_setup_simulation"
    (procedure "tclapp::xilinx::xsim::setup" line 19)
    invoked from within
"tclapp::xilinx::xsim::setup { -simset epu_tb -mode post-synthesis -type functional -run_dir /home/albert/git/proj/Vivado/proj/bran..."
ERROR: [Vivado 12-4473] Detected error while running simulation. Please correct the issue and retry this operation.

The command which is run by Vivado is:

launch_simulation -simset epu_tb -mode post-synthesis -type functional

Does anyone has an idea about the reason or what could solve this issue? Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions
Observer

Re: Application Exception when running Post-Synthesis Simulation

It seems that the error occurred due to my simulation set configuration. I did not not "include all design sources for simulation", but just the necessary files for the test, which seemed to make the "get_files ..." command crash (as seen above). Is it always necessary to include all design sources when running post-synthesis or post-implementation simulations?

View solution in original post

All Replies

Hi @a_bert

Can you try running the launch_simulation from the tcl console with -noclean_dir option?

launch_simulation -simset epu_tb -mode post-synthesis -type functional -noclean_dir

Regards

Rohit 

Regards
Rohit
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Observer

[ Edited ]

Even with this "-noclean_dir" option the simulation does show any change and outputs the same.

Hi @a_bert,

Which OS are you using?

Does behavioural simulation result in same issue or does it run successfully?

Can you please share the archived project or a test case to reproduce and check this issue at our end.

Thanks & Regards,

Sravanthi B

Observer

I'm using Ubuntu 16.04.1 with Kernel 4.8.0-58. Behavioural Simulation runs without problems. I can't share the whole project and unfortunately have not figured out a minimal test case to reproduce this exception yet. Do you might have other idea what to try in order to get more information what could be the underlying issue?

Observer

It seems that the error occurred due to my simulation set configuration. I did not not "include all design sources for simulation", but just the necessary files for the test, which seemed to make the "get_files ..." command crash (as seen above). Is it always necessary to include all design sources when running post-synthesis or post-implementation simulations?