Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
a_bert
Participant
Participant

Application Exception when running Post-Synthesis Simulation

Jump to solution

Vivado (2017.1 and 2017.3.1) throws the following exception when I run the post-synthesis simulation on my design:

ERROR: [Common 17-70] Application Exception: getAndUpdateDefaultGUIDesignGraph: nullptr supplied!

while executing
"get_files -compile_order sources -used_in synthesis_post -of_objects [get_filesets $a_sim_vars(s_simset)]"
    (procedure "usf_get_files_for_compilation_post_sim" line 80)
    invoked from within
"usf_get_files_for_compilation_post_sim $global_files_str"
    (procedure "::tclapp::xilinx::xsim::usf_get_files_for_compilation" line 18)
    invoked from within
"::tclapp::xilinx::xsim::usf_get_files_for_compilation global_files_str"
    (procedure "usf_xsim_setup_simulation" line 70)
    invoked from within
"usf_xsim_setup_simulation"
    (procedure "tclapp::xilinx::xsim::setup" line 19)
    invoked from within
"tclapp::xilinx::xsim::setup { -simset epu_tb -mode post-synthesis -type functional -run_dir /home/albert/git/proj/Vivado/proj/bran..."
ERROR: [Vivado 12-4473] Detected error while running simulation. Please correct the issue and retry this operation.

The command which is run by Vivado is:

launch_simulation -simset epu_tb -mode post-synthesis -type functional

Does anyone has an idea about the reason or what could solve this issue? Thanks in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_bert
Participant
Participant

It seems that the error occurred due to my simulation set configuration. I did not not "include all design sources for simulation", but just the necessary files for the test, which seemed to make the "get_files ..." command crash (as seen above). Is it always necessary to include all design sources when running post-synthesis or post-implementation simulations?

View solution in original post

5 Replies
thakurr

Hi @a_bert

Can you try running the launch_simulation from the tcl console with -noclean_dir option?

launch_simulation -simset epu_tb -mode post-synthesis -type functional -noclean_dir

Regards

Rohit 

Regards
Rohit
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
a_bert
Participant
Participant

Even with this "-noclean_dir" option the simulation does show any change and outputs the same.

0 Kudos
bandi

Hi @a_bert,

Which OS are you using?

Does behavioural simulation result in same issue or does it run successfully?

Can you please share the archived project or a test case to reproduce and check this issue at our end.

Thanks & Regards,

Sravanthi B

Thanks & Regards,
Sravanthi B
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
a_bert
Participant
Participant

I'm using Ubuntu 16.04.1 with Kernel 4.8.0-58. Behavioural Simulation runs without problems. I can't share the whole project and unfortunately have not figured out a minimal test case to reproduce this exception yet. Do you might have other idea what to try in order to get more information what could be the underlying issue?

0 Kudos
a_bert
Participant
Participant

It seems that the error occurred due to my simulation set configuration. I did not not "include all design sources for simulation", but just the necessary files for the test, which seemed to make the "get_files ..." command crash (as seen above). Is it always necessary to include all design sources when running post-synthesis or post-implementation simulations?

View solution in original post