Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Array in VHDL

Jump to solution

Hello Everyone!

I have question on synthesis of array type signals.

Suppose I have an signal "SS"which is a array of  size 12 of type std_logic_vector(7 downto 0).

now I assign each element of array in different IF ELSE loop as below:

example:

process(clk)

variable i : integer:=0;

begin

if(rising_edge(clk))then

if(......)then

SS(i) <= x"44";

i := I + 1;

elsif(.....)then

SS(i) <= x"55";

i:= i + 1;

elsif(.....)then

SS(i) <= x"78";

Question: Does the synthesis infer latches for signal "SS" as i am not assigning every element in every if-else condition?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

It would infer registers for each of the array elements, not latches, since you are in a clocked process.  The fact that it is an array is a convenience for you syntactically, but is irrelevant to the tool.  It would do the same thing with 12 independently declared signals, where each signal was set according to an index counter in sequence.   

It is often instructive to write up a quick test and then elaborate and/or synthesize it in Vivado and view the available schematics to see what is really produced.  The elaborated schematic provides a higher level view and the synthesis schematic provides a more detailed hardware specific view.  Both are nice to use from time to time to sanity check your HDL.

Scott

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

It would infer registers for each of the array elements, not latches, since you are in a clocked process.  The fact that it is an array is a convenience for you syntactically, but is irrelevant to the tool.  It would do the same thing with 12 independently declared signals, where each signal was set according to an index counter in sequence.   

It is often instructive to write up a quick test and then elaborate and/or synthesize it in Vivado and view the available schematics to see what is really produced.  The elaborated schematic provides a higher level view and the synthesis schematic provides a more detailed hardware specific view.  Both are nice to use from time to time to sanity check your HDL.

Scott

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hi @mayflowers4972,

Also, vivado synthesis should issue a warning for the instance in message. For example like: [Synth x-123] inferring latch for variable 'abc'.

Something like this should infer latch with if:

process(clr, d, g)
begin
if (clr = '1') then
q <= '0';
elsif (g = '1') then
q <= d;
end if;

where g,d,clr are inputs and q is output (std_logic).

--------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the appropriate answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give 'Kudos' to a post which you think is useful and reply oriented.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Highlighted
Participant
Participant
Thank You Friend for your Answer!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant
Thank you dear Friend!.. Your explanation made my understanding very much better. As You said it is a ggod practice to first write a small code and do synthesize to clarify the doubts.
0 Kudos