UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor sesami
Visitor

Assign XDC constraints to signals without using the KEEP attribute - VHDL

I use Vivado for Synthesis and compilation in non-project mode.

In the past, when I assigned XDC constraints to a signal, I usually also added a KEEP (or DONT_TOUCH) attributes to the signals to make sure they were not deleted and make sure that the constraint were applied.

Unfortunately placing KEEP and DONT_TOUCH on registered vctors or records can cause problems where only a subset of signals are actually used.  In both cases I have seen that registers are instantitated with some strange feedback logic (that uses unnecessary resources and sometimes breaks timing!)

To better define what I would like to do: we have common modules with registers for large records which require Multi Cycle (MC) paths.  The following are the potential topologies for individual bits of the multi-cycle constraint record registers with the desired outcome:

• a signal drives the MC path register, which then feeds other logic - desired behavior: MC constraint applied to register inputs
  • an unconnected signal (ie part of the registered record) feeds the MC path register, the output is unconnected - desired behavior: register is deleted from netlist.
  • a signal drives the MC path register, the output is unconnected - desired behavior: register is deleted from netlist.
  • a constant feeds the MC path register, which then feeds other logic - desired behavior: register deleted from netlist and output signal tied to constant value.

If I add a KEEP constraint, the registers I would like to see dropped are still there with the funny loopback topology, even after compile time optimizations (with a KEEP I would have thought that post synthesis stages would have trimmed these out, but they don't, and sometime do not meet timing!).

Here is my question . . . if I remove the KEEP attributes and load the MC XDC constraints prior to synthesis (I use non-project mode), am I guaranteed that the MC constraints are applied correctly and that optimization does not rebalance the logic across the registers potentially breaking my MC path timing?

NOTE: I tried this and it seems to work, but I want to make sure that it was not just a fluke, as it would be very hard to debug if the MC paths get applied incorrectly.  

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Re: Assign XDC constraints to signals without using the KEEP attribute - VHDL

In theory, if you've applied valid MC timing constraints on the registers, Vivado should take this into account during back end mapping and retiming.

I would propose something that will go a step further.    Use a custom VHDL attribute on the register to mark it for multi-cycle timing, then run a script after design optimization (opt_design) and before placement that dynamically creates the multi-cycle timing on the marked registers.   This way, you won't have to maintain an XDC file as you modify the design.   Just creating a new register in the RTL will be enough to get it constrained by the script.  [EDIT]   After 30 seconds of thought, I realize this approach won't relax the timing for synthesis the way you get with your approach.   This may result in a higher LUT usage as it tries to meet single cycle timing on the register inputs.

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
Visitor sesami
Visitor

Re: Assign XDC constraints to signals without using the KEEP attribute - VHDL

I would rather not do anything special as long as the tools are already ensuring correct application of the XDC constraints without a KEEP attribute when the constraints are loaded and applied to the synthesis step.  Intuitively, I would think it should be ok . . . but I have not been able to find anything written, and this is a pretty important detail.

Does anyone know for sure?

0 Kudos