cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Bits Missing in Netlist after Synthesis

Using Vivado 2015.3. I created an extremely simple design which includes a 32-bit counter:

reg [31:0] count;

After synthesis the 1st item under Nets in the Netlist is

count_reg(25)

The 1st 7 bits are not enumerated. The synthesis log contains

Detailed RTL Component Info :
      +---Registers :
                         16 Bit    Registers := 2     

so it recognizes my other 2 shorter registers. What happened to 'count'? I also tried shortening it to just fit the max count I'm allowing, but it still "ignores" the 1st 7 bits of that length. Further down in the Netlist the 1st 7 bits are enumerated as

count_reg_n_0[0]

count_reg_n_0[6]

Any clues?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

HI,

Can you please share the testcase?

-Shreyas
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try to search answer for your issue in forums or xilinx user guides before you post a new thread.

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided solves your query.
Give Kudos (star provided in right) to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @space_boy,

Can you please attach the synthesis log here?

-Rajesh

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @space_boy,

It depends upon your assignments and usage of the count signals. Make sure you have valid connections for these signals. VSS must be throwing few warnings for these signals before removing. Give DONT_TOUCH property to these signals and check connection after synthesis and observe whether the connectivity is valid or not.

We need to look into the RTL code to comment on this behaviour.

Thanks,
Anusheel
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Search for documents/answer records related to your device and tool before posting query on forums.
Search related forums and make sure your query is not repeated.

Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Helpful answer -> Give Kudos
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

SOLVED: Thanks for the input and interest in the problem. I found the setting "keep equivalent registers" which, when set, keeps the bits of the register contiguous. Without it, some of the bits were presumably "optimized" into a different arrangement.

Ron

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @space_boy,

Please mark the answer as accepted solution to close this thread.

-Shreyas

Try to search answer for your issue in forums or xilinx user guides before you post a new thread.

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided solves your query.
Give Kudos (star provided in right) to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos