Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rkalinsky
Visitor
Visitor

Bug report: Vivado 2020.2 crashes on ram_style attribute null string value

Jump to solution

I'd like to report a bug that was introduced in Vivado 2020.2. This bug does not occur with Vivado 2020.1 and earlier.

Vivado 2020.2 crashes (abnormal termination) during synthesis if in a VHDL source there is a ram_style attribute specified with a null string value, i.e. "".

A simple workaround is to specify value "auto", or even a single space " ". But Vivado should not crash on a null string value "", and did not prior to version 2020.2.

Vivado 2020.2 also doesn't seem to have a problem with null string values for attributes in general.  The bug appears to be specific to the ram_style attribute.

For a trivial example to reproduce this bug, see the attached files example.vhd and example.tcl, and execute:

vivado -mode batch -source example.tcl

I'm also attaching a resulting crash error log.  See hs_err_pid577877.log.

I'm running Vivado on CentOS 8.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pulim
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @rkalinsky 

Thanks for reporting this issue. I have filed a CR to get this issue fixed.

Thanks,

Manusha

View solution in original post

3 Replies
pulim
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @rkalinsky 

Thanks for reporting this issue. I have filed a CR to get this issue fixed.

Thanks,

Manusha

View solution in original post

bitjockey
Adventurer
Adventurer

While we're at it, can Vivado stop putting vhdl generics and synthesis attributes in the same namespace.  If your ram wrapper has a GENERIC called RAM_STYLE (that the wrapper then passes into the attribute internally) the compiler gets all sorts of pissy that "RAM_STYLE" is reserved.  Even though it's a GENERIC and not a language reserved name.  Xilinx programmers just got lazy and put the two kinds of objects into one dictionary/namespace inside the compiler.  Renaming the generic would mean updating a 10 year old piece of code reused in lots of places.

0 Kudos
rkalinsky
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks, @pulim .

0 Kudos