UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Could not find cell 'U0' within module

Jump to solution

I'm getting Vivado General Synthesis "Could not find cell 'U0' within module" errors associated with a few Vivado IP Catalog cores.  I have many more IP Catalog cores in the design for which there are no errors.  An example error is,

[Designutils 20-1275] Could not find cell 'U0' within module 'GTX_Clk_Gen' for instance 'emc/ecg'. The XDC file c:/Users/rbackhus/Documents/GEOSTAR/FromLinux/GEOSTAR_Demonstrator_Control/GEOSTAR_Demonstrator_Control.srcs/sources_1/ip/GTX_Clk_Gen/GTX_Clk_Gen_board.xdc will not be read for this cell.

I tried regenerating the core outputs and that didn't change anything.  These errors are from a Xilinx tool synthesizing Xilinx IP Catalog generated cores.  None of this is mine so I'm really sure what the problem is here.

This is Vivado 2014.4 running on 64 bit Windows 7.

Any ideas?

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Could not find cell 'U0' within module

Jump to solution

After a week working this problem the web case engineer concluded that when one builds a core out of context, black box attributes are generated which are to be pasted into the source with the component declaration.  Then when I deselected the out of context selection, I failed to remove the black box attributes from my code.  Nevertheless, the clock wizard put the black box attributes in the vho file whether the clock was built out of context or not.  In that case I just removed the attributes even though they were included in the vho file.  All the critical warnings went away. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

I misspoke above.  These arn't errors.  They are critical warnings. 

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello,

Are you generating the IPs in OOC flow?

Thanks,

Vinay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Hi,

Can you open the elaborated design and compare the connectivity of this failing ip instance with that of passing one? Are all the inputs to the ip instance connected properly?

Also open synthesized design and check if the tool by chance renamed the U0 cell to something else.

Thanks,
Deepika.
Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

I generated all my cores out of context but then switched them all back out of OOC and am now doing "General Synthesis", I think it is called where the project synthesis builds all the code including the cores.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Yes, I checked that.  The ports are properly connected on all my cores.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Hi,

Can you apply DONT_TOUCH constraint on the problematic IP instance and see if it helps? Below is the xdc syntax

Example: set_property DONT_TOUCH TRUE [get_cells inst]

Thanks,
Deepika.
Thanks,
Deepika.
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

After a week working this problem the web case engineer concluded that when one builds a core out of context, black box attributes are generated which are to be pasted into the source with the component declaration.  Then when I deselected the out of context selection, I failed to remove the black box attributes from my code.  Nevertheless, the clock wizard put the black box attributes in the vho file whether the clock was built out of context or not.  In that case I just removed the attributes even though they were included in the vho file.  All the critical warnings went away. 

0 Kudos