cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

DDR4 MIG fails to synthesize with Vivado 2016.2

I'm generating the DDR4 MIG IP for a Kintex xcku085-flvb1760-1-c FPGA, but synthesis of the Out-Of-Context IP is failing without providing any useful information as to why. The memory is an SODIMM (MTA18ASF1G72HZ_2G1). The .xci file and synthesis reports are attached.

Any help with getting this to synthesize would be greatly appreciated.

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: DDR4 MIG fails to synthesize with Vivado 2016.2

How did you know "Synthesis is failing"? Was the Synthesis process halting (log didn't change for a very long time)? Did the GUI give any pop-up window indicating it failed (if yes, what did it say)? Did the GUI crash?

Here are something that you could try:

1. Try newer version of Vivado, e.g. 2016.4, 2017.1.

2. Try Global mode of MIG but not Out-Of-Context.

Thanks

Vivian

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
如果提供的信息能解决您的问题,请标记为“接受为解决方案”。
如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

The Vivado GUI reports a synthesis design error, but there is no other indication of a problem (no crashes, log problems, infinite run time, etc.)  I will try running it as global then update versions of Vivado.

synth_error.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Switching the IP from OOC to Global did not help, but I was able to get it to work by switching to Vivado 2017.1. When building in 2017.1, I initially got a warning/error about the file path being greater than 146 characters (it was 150 characters), so maybe this was the problem in 2016.2?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Very likely that this was the problem in 2016.2. And you can verify that by reducing the path to the project directory in 2016.2.

Thanks

Vivian

如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

I just ran it again in 2016.2 with a shortened file path and the IP still fails to build, so it was something else.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I created a project in 2016.2 and added your .xci file in the project. When I right clicked on the .xci and selected "Generate Output Products", I received the following errors:

mig.png

I then changed the IP to Global mode and the IP could be generated without error. After that I changed the IP back to Out-of-Context mode and generated output products, everything worked well. The OOC Synthesis run completed successfully.

Not sure if your issue has anything to do with the errors I encountered.

Do you still need it to be run in 2016.2? Is moving to 2017.1 a good option for you?

Thanks

Vivian

如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

That's interesting. The MIG IP was generated through 4DSP's Stellar IP tool as part of their example design, so I would think it would be valid. My current Vivado license only goes through 2016.2, but I have an eval license and we should be updating our license soon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I had the same problem with Vivado 2016.2. For me the solution was to use a shorter path for working directory.

0 Kudos