UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Debugging RTL for "unconnected registers"

Jump to solution

I'm getting several "...is unconnected and will be removed" warnings in Vivado (2015.4). I am aware that this is almost always a problem with the RTL and I've successfully debugged my RTL in the past when faced with these warnings. However, this time I am stumped. I have traced a path all the way from the data coming into our IP (we're using a Zynq, so over the AXIS HP ports) to it leaving the IP (also over the HP port).

The IP works fine in simulation - it produces meaningful, non-zero data. The inputs and outputs work - I have HP0 connected to the IP and HP1 simply doing a loopback; HP1 data correctly loops back. Given that, I have no idea how to debug this. Is there any way to figure out what triggered Vivado to start removing registers (i.e., which of the regs it removed was the first)?

Finally, I have a message I have never seen before - 

WARNING: [Synth 8-3936] Found unconnected internal register 'offset_reg' and it is trimmed from '23' to '16' bits.

Does this mean that the entire register is unconnected or that only the bits being trimmed are unconnected? This message appears in the "RTL Optimization" phase (Phase 2), much before the "cross boundary optimization" phase which is where a slew of other "unconected" warnings appear. Can I assume the above message triggered the others?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Debugging RTL for "unconnected registers"

Jump to solution

Hi @vgokhale,

Here's the sample usage of the attribute.

module dont_touch(input in1,input in2,input in3,input in4,output out1,output out2);

(* dont_touch = "true" *) wire sig1; 
assign sig1 = in1 & in2;
assign out1 = sig1 & in2;

(* dont_touch = "false" *) wire sig2;
assign sig2 = in3 & in4;
assign out2 = sig2 & in4;
endmodule

Thanks,

Rajesh

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Jump to solution

@vgokhale,

I think that the bits from 16 to 23 are always unused so the tool must be trimming them. 

Just to debug can you try applying dont_touch attribute on this signal:

attribute dont_touch : string;
attribute dont_touch of <signal_name> : signal is "true";

Check page number 41 in below synthesis user guide for more details:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2015_4/ug901-vivado-synthesis.pdf

--Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

I am using verilog so I used the verilog version of the attribute syntax you showed ((* DONT_TOUCH = “yes” *)) and for all three versions (wire attribute, module attribute and instance attribute), Vivado gave my a syntax error on the line that I had the attribute.

Am I missing something in the syntax?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @vgokhale,

Here's the sample usage of the attribute.

module dont_touch(input in1,input in2,input in3,input in4,output out1,output out2);

(* dont_touch = "true" *) wire sig1; 
assign sig1 = in1 & in2;
assign out1 = sig1 & in2;

(* dont_touch = "false" *) wire sig2;
assign sig2 = in3 & in4;
assign out2 = sig2 & in4;
endmodule

Thanks,

Rajesh

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

I'm accepting the above as the solution because it worked in preventing the signals in the module from being removed. However, it (obviously) did not fix the bug in my RTL. Unfortunately, without more information on what triggered the signals to be removed was taking far too long. Instead, I re-wrote the module under question differently and I suppose somewhere along the way I fixed my own bug. Thank you for your help with this.

0 Kudos