UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Difference Between synthesising Array && with.. select

Hello,

I am synthesising AES encryption algorithm on Virtex-7.

There is something happened, and I would like to understand why it happened that way.

There's a part of the AES called the s-box, which a prescribed values, used to give make a byte substitution, and by that I mean, the s-box takes a byte (call it b0) , looks for the associated value (call it b1) to this byte, and then replace b0 with b1.

I got a design, where this s-box is implemented using ARRAY (0 to 255) of STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(7 downto 0).

I have made some modifications to this part, thus, the s-box now implemented using with.. select statement, which depends as follows

with b0= xxxxxxxx, select b1=yyyyyyyy.

and I used this instead of the array in the design.

In both scenarios, the s-box is synthesised as a LUT, however, this caused a significant power reduction.

Why did this power reduction happen, in spite of the fact the s-box in both cases is synthesised as a LUT?

I am using Vivado 2015.4. and VHDL.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: Difference Between synthesising Array && with.. select

Open the implemented design, and look at it,

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thank you, @austin

At what exactly in the implemented design I should look? Forgive me, I am still counted to be new to all of this.

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

a,

Or look at the usage report.

How many LUT and of what type? (LUT2, LUT3, LUT4, LUT5, LUT6)

Coding style makes a difference.  Some styles are more resource efficient, some are more power efficient.

How many levels of logic are there between registers? (pipelining)  The more pipelined a design is, the faster it can go.  The faster the clock, the higher the dynamic power.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos