UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor manili
Visitor

Does Vivado Synthesis tool, add signals to sensitivity list automatically ?

Jump to solution

Hi all,

Please take a look at below code :

module Test( input i );

(* MARK_DEBUG = "TRUE" *) reg b;

always @(i)

begin

if(i)

b = 1'h0;

else

b = ~b;

end

endmodule

After synthesizing this code I get the following result during Post-Synthesis-Simulation process with ModelSim simulator :

# ** Error (suppressible): (vsim-3601) Iteration limit 10000000 reached at time 20 ns.

But I have no problem with Behavioral-Simulation phase.

It seems that the Vivado adds "b" signal to the sensitivity list automatically, Isn't it ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

Re: Does Vivado Synthesis tool, add signals to sensitivity list automatically ?

Jump to solution

The short answer is "yes".

The longer answer is "what do you expect it to do?"

Synthesis is converting your RTL code into a netlist of interconnected cells. In FPGAs (and other digital logic), you have flip-flops, latches and combinatorial logic - that's it.

Interpreted literally (where b is not part of the sensitivity list), what hardware do you expect can implement what you have described? It would sort of look like a dual edged toggle flip-flop with a clear (or something like that). No such thing exists in an FPGA (or ASIC) - there are no dual-edge flip-flops (other than IDDRs and ODDRs which cannot be inferred this way).

So the tool has several choices - simply say "Error - what you have here cannot be synthesized" (since it can't), or assume you made a simple typographical error. It does the latter, and puts a warning in the synthesis log file to tell you that it has done so.

So now it needs to figure out what you meant. For always blocks, there are only two forms that are synthesizable

always @(posedge <clk>)

begin

d <= ...

end

which infers a flip-flop. Note the posedge is required. Since your code does not have the posedge, it assumes it is not a flop.

The only other form that is legal is

always @(*)

begin

end

which, depending on what is between the begin and end is either combinatorial logic or a latch. In this case, it assumes full sensitivity in the always block, since both combinatorial logic and latches require full sensitivity.

The tool assumes your code is this form, and then goes on to create the combinatorial logic that has the b = ~b feedback, which is a combinatorial loop (literally a NAND gate with its output connected back to its input).

When you try and simulate this and i goes to a 1, the loop starts oscillating, and, in a zero time simulation, time stops (causing the iteration limit).

Avrum

Tags (1)
1 Reply
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

Re: Does Vivado Synthesis tool, add signals to sensitivity list automatically ?

Jump to solution

The short answer is "yes".

The longer answer is "what do you expect it to do?"

Synthesis is converting your RTL code into a netlist of interconnected cells. In FPGAs (and other digital logic), you have flip-flops, latches and combinatorial logic - that's it.

Interpreted literally (where b is not part of the sensitivity list), what hardware do you expect can implement what you have described? It would sort of look like a dual edged toggle flip-flop with a clear (or something like that). No such thing exists in an FPGA (or ASIC) - there are no dual-edge flip-flops (other than IDDRs and ODDRs which cannot be inferred this way).

So the tool has several choices - simply say "Error - what you have here cannot be synthesized" (since it can't), or assume you made a simple typographical error. It does the latter, and puts a warning in the synthesis log file to tell you that it has done so.

So now it needs to figure out what you meant. For always blocks, there are only two forms that are synthesizable

always @(posedge <clk>)

begin

d <= ...

end

which infers a flip-flop. Note the posedge is required. Since your code does not have the posedge, it assumes it is not a flop.

The only other form that is legal is

always @(*)

begin

end

which, depending on what is between the begin and end is either combinatorial logic or a latch. In this case, it assumes full sensitivity in the always block, since both combinatorial logic and latches require full sensitivity.

The tool assumes your code is this form, and then goes on to create the combinatorial logic that has the b = ~b feedback, which is a combinatorial loop (literally a NAND gate with its output connected back to its input).

When you try and simulate this and i goes to a 1, the loop starts oscillating, and, in a zero time simulation, time stops (causing the iteration limit).

Avrum

Tags (1)