UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar helmutforren
Scholar

Does Vivado support SystemVerilog Verilog Unions?

Jump to solution

Darn.  I have a whole system working using SystemVerilog structures and unions.  Then, before Christmas break, I found that Vivado isn't supposed to support unions at all.  Therefore, my working system is on very thin ice.

I found Answer Record at https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/55135.html .  However, I remember an actual PDF somewhere that said this, but I can't find it again.  QUESTION: Where was the PDF that said this?

Then, I'm wondering if 2017.4 officially DOES support unions, or at least more than the limited list in the AR implies.  I'd like to get off the thin ice, but I don't want to move from one set of thin ice to another set of thin ice, and fall through.  (That is, what manages to work today, with a few workarounds I had to put in, might not work at all in 2017.2,.3, or .4.  It's a complex system, and finding -- or not discovering -- deeply buried bugs from something like this is way too scary.

Thanks,

Helmut

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Does Vivado support SystemVerilog Verilog Unions?

Jump to solution
I can see in 2017.4 user guide that vivado synthesis does not support unions. check page#259
https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_4/ug901-vivado-synthesis.pdf
Thanks
HJ
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
7 Replies

Jump to solution
I can see in 2017.4 user guide that vivado synthesis does not support unions. check page#259
https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_4/ug901-vivado-synthesis.pdf
Thanks
HJ
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Scholar helmutforren
Scholar

Jump to solution

Thanks.  So the answer is "UG901".  The 2017.1 UG901 is where I saw it.  Now it's documented to be easily found again in my forum posts, and the answer about 2017.4 is given.

Visitor amol_aeva
Visitor

Jump to solution

Vivado Synthesis doesn't support Unions but they should work in Simulation. See UG900 for that. So if they are only used in your testbench you should be ok.

0 Kudos
Scholar helmutforren
Scholar

Jump to solution

Note I have them actually RUNNING on the FPGA hardware, with 90% success and 10% workaround.  So they ARE in fact PARTIALLY and POORLY supported, as opposed to not supported at all.  This is certainly true for 2017.1.  My associate builds with 2017.2 and it might also be the same.  Anyway, this underlies my fear of upgrading.

Scholar markcurry
Scholar

Jump to solution

That's VERY bad behavior by Vivado.  If it's not supported (as UG901 indicated) it should error out.  Producing logic which doesn't match the RTL description is absolutely the worst thing the tool could do.

Xilinx should fix Vivado to either (a) error out on Unions, or (b) complete the support and make it officially supported.

Regards.

Mark

Scholar helmutforren
Scholar

Jump to solution
LOL. I agree completely. I already had a huge investment in working code, then posted about bugs, then worked around, then posted about more bugs, then worked around, then discovered it wasn't supported. I won't hold my breath for Xilinx to get around to what you suggest. (Frankly, I don't see why it's so hard. I have already envisioned future rewrites of this code, to implement what is in essence unions by defining the structs separately and using knowledgeable code to copy from one var to another in order to accomplish the desired result. I would think Synth could do exactly that under the covers. Note I'm thinking of packed unions and structures.)
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

I agree that we should give an error instead of providing wrong logic for this. Is there an example that you can provide that shows this so I can report it to development to address?

Please don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution!
0 Kudos