cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor
Visitor

EDK Placement and Routing Never Finishes

I am using the Xilinx EDK 10.1 to place and route the OpenSPARC T1 1.6 project onto a Virtex 5 110T FPGA. When doing this, however, the EDK never finishes placement and routing. I let it run for 5 days and it had 6 processes using all the RAM but no CPU usage. I end up canceling the build operation as it should only take a couple of hours at the most. A copy of the log file is attached.

1st of all, is there a way to get more detailed log messages out of the EDK? The log file doesn't offer much granularity.

Second, has anyone else had problems compiling the OpenSPARC T1 in the EDK? I've posted on the OpenSPARC forums and no one has commented, so I don't think anyone's run into these problems.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

Re: EDK Placement and Routing Never Finishes

Why are you using EDK for the OpenSPARC?

-a

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I'm using the EDK because that's what's suggested for the OpenSPARC workflow. An EDK project is provided when you download OpenSPARC that has the connections between the crossbar, OpenSPARC, and microblaze all setup so that you just copy in a modified OpenSPARC netlist if you've modified it and place and route.

I have tried importing the project into synplify premier but placing and routing there failed because of the code, which shouldn't have happened. Using EDK is the best option here and it should work. I would still like more granular logging from the EDK which should help debug this if anyone knows how to achieve that.

Message Edited by susurrus on 02-23-2009 10:39 AM
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

As there may be a problem with our installation of the EDK, I'd like to try an entire workflow to test out the board and the software. Are there provided examples that come with the EDK or online for the 110T? I couldn't find any specific to the 110T as one of the provided examples (the microblaze design demonstrating interrupts for the ML505) doesn't meet the timing constraints when rerun for the 110T.
0 Kudos