UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer iso_larry
Observer

EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

Jump to solution

Hi,

I've set a simple project in Vivado 2016.4 on Windows 10 Pro: device xc7k70tfbg484-1, a single top-level VHDL file, and two generated IP cores (selectio interface wizard 5.1 and clocking wizard 5.3). All the other project/Vivado settings are kept default, from a "vanilla" Vivado installation.

When I run Synthesis, the synthesis of the two cores fails. Opening the logs, the error message for both jobs is: Abnormal program termination (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION). I've attached the hs_err_pid.log and hs_err_pid.dmp for both jobs if it can be useful.

I've also created a sample project, and the same thing happens. It appears there is an issue of Vivado with my PC/OS, but why? It is a quite standard machine.

Thank you!

L.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Observer iso_larry
Observer

Re: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

Jump to solution

I think I've found the culprit. Even if I've installed the free Webpack edition, It looks like a licensing problem. Initially the installation in the virtual machine also crashed, then I re-run the license manager and now it works. Probably I've made some mess with the previous ISE license.

On the "real" machine though I cannot even run the license manager (the java se interpreter crashes when I launch it).

Oh well, for now I have a working installation on the virtual machine, it's better than nothing!

Thank you!

L.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
check this ARs
https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/61044.html

This is a crash vivado crash. Can you check if the raouted dcp file is generated in <project>/<project>.runs/impl folder.

If yes, then to move forward with the design open the checkpoint in Vivado and you can generate the bitstream or analyze the routed design results.

To debug the crash issue, Can you share the post opt dcp file?

FYI: Check this Answer Record to debug crash issues:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/55854.html

Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

HI @iso_larry

Please attach the sample project archive you have created . we can use it as a test case  to report  the issue to development.

Thanks
Bharath
--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided addresses your query/concern.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Observer iso_larry
Observer

Jump to solution

@balkris: The impl folder is empty, no files in there. There is no .dcp file in any other directory neither.

@nagabhar: the sample project is too big to be uploaded to the forum, so I've shared it here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxi_5yArtIXRUngtdHNxbDlCdVU/view?usp=sharing

I've preferred to keep all the intermediate files, in case it could help your analysis.

Thank you both!

L.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@iso_larry,

I ran synthesis on your shared design in Linux using vivado 2016.4 and the run was successful. 

I havent tested it on win10. 

Can you please open any Xilinx example design and see if the crash is occurs for all the vivado projects?

--Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Observer iso_larry
Observer

Jump to solution

Yes, apparently nothing works. I've also made a project from scratch composed only by a VHDL component with an input connected to an output:

library IEEE;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL;

entity test is
    Port ( dummy_in : in STD_LOGIC;
    dummy_out : out STD_LOGIC);
end test;

architecture Behavioral of test is

begin

dummy_out <= dummy_in;

end Behavioral;

It doesn't work either. In this case synthesis doesn't even give me the EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION error, it just aborts.

I will going to install Vivado in a Windows 7 virtual machine, just to see what happens.

I've already had to do in this way for ISE 14.7, since some months ago it has stopped working on my machine too.

Thank you anyway!

L.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@iso_larry,

Thanks for the update. Please keep us posted on results with win7.

The problem in win10 OS could be due to corrupt install or any software installed on machine blocking the vivado runs.

Check the following Answer Record on vivado crash and share the log files mentioned in it,

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/55854.html

--Syed

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer iso_larry
Observer

Jump to solution

I think I've found the culprit. Even if I've installed the free Webpack edition, It looks like a licensing problem. Initially the installation in the virtual machine also crashed, then I re-run the license manager and now it works. Probably I've made some mess with the previous ISE license.

On the "real" machine though I cannot even run the license manager (the java se interpreter crashes when I launch it).

Oh well, for now I have a working installation on the virtual machine, it's better than nothing!

Thank you!

L.

0 Kudos