UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Edge Detection - Question

Jump to solution

Hello All,

This question has been poking me for a while, So I need help.

Say if I have a 100 Mhz input clock to my FPGA, and say I am getting another input signal named slave_interrupt, from a slave device. 

If I want to detect the positive edge of the slave_interrupt from the slave device, why do I need to design an edge detector circuit?. What if I just go with the following?

always @posedge(slave_interrupt) in verilog

if rising_edge(slave_interrupt) in VHDL?

Why can't I use the above method of coding?.

Thanks,

Manoj

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: Edge Detection - Question

Jump to solution

That works OK, with two limitations:

(1) It's not in the same clock domain as the rest of your design. Any signals going from that block to another block (on the 100MHz clock) have unknown (undefined) timing and therefore can't be proven to meet timing requirements. In practice, this means that it'll probably work ... most of the time.

(2) Last time I checked, the Xilinx tools complained about clocking flipflops from pins that aren't actually designed for clock input.

Bringing them into the 100MHz clock domain immediately using an edge detector solves both problems.

4 Replies
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

That works OK, with two limitations:

(1) It's not in the same clock domain as the rest of your design. Any signals going from that block to another block (on the 100MHz clock) have unknown (undefined) timing and therefore can't be proven to meet timing requirements. In practice, this means that it'll probably work ... most of the time.

(2) Last time I checked, the Xilinx tools complained about clocking flipflops from pins that aren't actually designed for clock input.

Bringing them into the 100MHz clock domain immediately using an edge detector solves both problems.

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

The 'rising_edge' function is used to describe a CLOCK signal on a design.

If you used the interrupt as a clock signal... what would be your data signal?

Apart from that, I agree with the other arguments you were already given.

Avi Chami MSc
FPGA Site
Scholar markcurry
Scholar

Jump to solution

Don't do that.

Avoid doing that at all possible cost, unless you have no alternative.  (And there likely are alternatives).  And then if you do, you're going to need to seriously sharpen your pencil to make sure it'll work reliably.

Why shouldn't you do that?  It's not following basic synchronous design principles.  Simple as that.

Is the signal in question generated synchronously with the 100 MHz clock?  At what rate?  Is there a timing specification for the signal in question with respect to the clock?

Start with those questions.  The decision tree for your solution forks quite a bit depending on the answers to those questions.

Regards,

Mark

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Thank you everyone.

0 Kudos