Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Generating a synthesizable netlist in Viavdo

Jump to solution

How do I create a synthesizable netlist from VHDL code so I can give this to a customer and he can't read / modify my VHDL code?

Maybe I don't mean synthesizable netlist, a block box netlist that can be inserted into another design, just a way so the VHDL code can't be read / modified.

I know how to do this in ISE with an NGC file but not sure in Vivado. write_vhdl apparently is for simulation only?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Generating a synthesizable netlist in Viavdo

Jump to solution

Hi luis.munoz,

Yes write_vhdl is for simulation netlist file also, but can be used for synthesized netlist too. You can use the write_edif command instead.

After the synthesis of the required module is done in out of context mode, write this command in tcl console:

write_vhdl -mode synth_stub .v

Then write this command in tcl console:

write_edif -security_mode all -force .edn

Now you can simply add the netlist and instantiate it in your project just like any other module

Refer to this document for details on syntax:
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2015_4/ug835-vivado-tcl-commands.pdf

Regarding black box requirement: You can simply use black_box attribute in Vivado. Refer below link(page 39):

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2015_4/ug901-vivado-synthesis.pdf

Thanks,
Nupur

Thanks,
Nupur
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (click on the 'thumbs-up' button).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi luis.munoz,

Yes write_vhdl is for simulation netlist file also, but can be used for synthesized netlist too. You can use the write_edif command instead.

After the synthesis of the required module is done in out of context mode, write this command in tcl console:

write_vhdl -mode synth_stub .v

Then write this command in tcl console:

write_edif -security_mode all -force .edn

Now you can simply add the netlist and instantiate it in your project just like any other module

Refer to this document for details on syntax:
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2015_4/ug835-vivado-tcl-commands.pdf

Regarding black box requirement: You can simply use black_box attribute in Vivado. Refer below link(page 39):

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2015_4/ug901-vivado-synthesis.pdf

Thanks,
Nupur

Thanks,
Nupur
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (click on the 'thumbs-up' button).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi nupurs,

I have a similar scenario and a question: I only have a part of my design encrypted. And, when I do write_edif, that part gets separated into a second .edn-file, in accordance with the default security_mode setting, which is multifile.

Now my client gets the top-.edf-file and the encrypted .edn-file. He added both to a new project, but the encrypted .edn-file is not used during synthesis. He gets a critical warning:

[Project 1-486] Could not resolve non-primitive black box cell <name of encrypted vhdl module> instantiated as ...

I know I could just change the security_mode and get a single file as output, but I was curious if you knew how to deal with importing multiple netlist-files.

Thanks a lot,

Andrei

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution
@luis.munoz hi,

I am working on zynq7020 customized board, I have created the complete video pipeline part in PL side . now I have to give this to my customer , my customer need to add some more logic into PL Side, But I cant directly give my PL block Design to them. when I am searching someone posted about the NETLIST, from that they extract the design and  add their logic into PL side. could u please explain WHAT and HOW can I generate my complete PL DESIGN NETLIST. if u have done this before could u please explain me.. u can contact me @ ramesha15390@gmail.com

WITH REGARDS
RAMESH
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@theertharamesha

You can shared the synthesized netlist in the form of .edf of .dcp by using write_edif/write_checkpoint command after synthesis. Your customer needs to instantiate this file in the design with the other logic.

Thanks,
Anusheel
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Search for documents/answer records related to your device and tool before posting query on forums.
Search related forums and make sure your query is not repeated.

Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Helpful answer -> Give Kudos
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution
thank you @anusheel,

I have generated the synthesized netlist with tcl command. now I want to test these netlist file whatever I have generated is correct?
for that I need to create a sample project with some logic and for that I need to instantiate my netlist. could you please tell how can I instantiate my netlist .
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@theertharamesha 

You will need to have a stub for this flow. Please refer below AR:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/54074.html

Thanks,
Anusheel
Search for documents/answer records related to your device and tool before posting query on forums.
Search related forums and make sure your query is not repeated.

Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Helpful answer -> Give Kudos

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

thank you @anusheel,

I have followed the steps u have been mentioned . I have instantiated the .edf & Verilog stub file in my main design . but I am getting implementation error.

please look into the snap chat of the error message

with regards

ramesh

block_box.jpg
0 Kudos