UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

How can I know my state machine is encoded?

Hi All,

If -fsm_extraction is set to auto, after synthesis, how can I know my state machine is encoded?

Thanks

Rgds

Orange

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: How can I know my state machine is encoded?

Hi,

You can check the synthesis log file which gives these details. Below are the messages which gives this info. In this case it used sequential encoding.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finished RTL Optimization : Time (s): cpu = 00:00:04 ; elapsed = 00:00:10 . Memory (MB): peak = 260.242 ; gain = 113.801
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INFO: [Synth 8-802] inferred FSM for state register 'state_reg' in module 'fsm_test'
INFO: [Synth 8-3354] encoded FSM with state register 'state_reg' using encoding 'sequential' in module 'fsm_test'

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I believe you're using Vivado. In Vivado 2013.3, for verilog we do provide encoding values for each state in the report file. Here is a snippet,
INFO: [Synth 8-638] synthesizing module 'fsm_test' [....]
Parameter s1 bound to: 2'b00

For VHDL even in 2013.3, we do not provide the values in the report file. For debugging perspective from synthesis side, one suggestion for a workaround would be to explicitly specify encoding value in a combinatorial process for a specific state,synthesize and using it for debugging. The sample HDL code is as follows,

process(state) begin
case state is
when s1 => test_out <= "00";
when s2 => test_out <= "01";
end case;
end process;

test_out can be used for debugging purpose.

In the future release of Vivado, more accurate messages about FSM state encoding will be added into Synthesis report but we don't have a fixed schedule yet.

Thanks

Vivian

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
如果提供的信息能解决您的问题,请标记为“接受为解决方案”。
如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@viviany wrote:

I believe you're using Vivado. In Vivado 2013.3, for verilog we do provide encoding values for each state in the report file. 

Just for the record, the XST report shows the encoding type and exactly how each state is encoded. It has done so basically since the tool was first released.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Thank you all. Got it.

0 Kudos

The old technique used in ISE seems to be accepted in vivado 14.3:

In synthesis report:

INFO: [Synth 8-4472] Detected and applied attribute fsm_encoding = user

and in chipscope the values for the fsm signal have always been as i set in attributes using

type myStateType                              is ( STATE1, STATE2 );

attribute ENUM_ENCODING of myStateType : type is " 000            001        ";

signal myState          : myStateType := STATE1;
   attribute FSM_ENCODING        of myState : signal is "user";
   attribute SAFE_IMPLEMENTATION of myState : signal is "yes";

all this does not exist in Vivado doc... am i day dreaming or the Vivado synthesiser is still accepting them (undocumented features?)

0 Kudos

@fjeanson_eddyfi

Refer below link:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/51237.html

Thanks,
Anusheel
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Search for documents/answer records related to your device and tool before posting query on forums.
Search related forums and make sure your query is not repeated.

Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Helpful answer -> Give Kudos
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

In Vivado 2014.4 and older versions, Vivado Synthesis does not support "user_encoding" for the fsm_encoding attribute.
Support for "user_encoding" is added in Vivado 2015.1

ref:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/60916.html

0 Kudos