cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abdel21
Visitor
Visitor

How to avoid instances from being removed

WARNING:Xst:1989 - Unit <mem_ctrl>: instances <Mcompar__cmp_eq0041>, <Mcompar__cmp_eq0045> of unit <LPM_COMPARE_1> are equivalent, second instance is removed

WARNING:Xst:1988 - Unit <L2>: instances <Mcompar__cmp_le0000>, <Mcompar__cmp_gt0000> of unit <LPM_COMPARE_3> and unit <LPM_COMPARE_7> are dual, second instance is removed

Why do these warning appears and how can I find out  where the problem is, that is, how could I identify what part of my VHDL code is wrong?

Or at least, if anyone could tell me how to avoid seconds instances from being removed, that is, keep both firsts and seconds instances in my synthesized design.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
gszakacs
Instructor
Instructor

In the synthesis properties, turn off "Equivalent register removal".

This isn't necessarily a problem.  Often you'll find the "equivalent registers" have been

added during synthesis because you also have "register duplication" turned on.

I'm not at my work computer right now, so the above quoted terms may not be exactly

right.  In any case they are in the synthesis properties and both are on by default.

Under most conditions you can safely ignore these warnings.  Where you may run into problems

is removal of registers that were duplicated in order to push into the IOB's, or registers

duplicated to speed up the clock by reducing the fanout.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
htsvn
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello, The keep attribute should be indeed what you are looking for, assuming you are using XST as a synthesizer, e.g. attribute KEEP : string; attribute KEEP of ring_delay1 : signal is "true"; Other synthesizers may require different attributes. Rgds.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
liy
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

or  add "save" flag in your desing  to keep them from been trimed

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos