cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

How to get images of RTL netlists using TCL ?

Jump to solution

Hello !

I'd like to know if it is possible to get some images (either png, pdf, svg) of the RTL netlist, without using Vivado GUI, but simply by scripting TCL. How can we do that ?

Thanks in advance !

JCLL

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: How to get images of RTL netlists using TCL ?

Jump to solution

Hi @jcll

I think this is not supported outside GUI because this command needs schematic to be opened in order to get executed. As mentioned in the other thread you can add start_gui command after synth_design in your script to open the Vivado GUI with synthesized schematic and run write_schematic command. Afterwards you can use 'exit' or 'stop_gui' command to come back to tcl shell.

Regards

Rohit

Regards
Rohit
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi @jcll

I'd like to know if it is possible to get some images (either png, pdf, svg) of the RTL netlist, without using Vivado GUI, but simply by scripting TCL. How can we do that ?

I don't think you would be able to open the netlist file(created by tcl) with png,pdf,svg format as it is not supported. Supported extension would be .edn, edif,.v,.vg,.sv etc.

Please use any of these above (eg: write_edif <file_path>test.vg)

Regards

Rohit

Regards
Rohit
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

vivado_schematic.png

There is a "save as PDF" in the schematic viewer, accessible via contextual menu (right click).

It seems strange that there is no TCL command to get this PDF...

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi @jcll

When you click on "Save as pdf file" option then it will save the file in some location and corresponding tcl command will be executed:

write_schematic -format pdf -orientation portrait <location>/schematic.pdf

This pdf will have schematic representation of your design.

Regards

Rohit

Regards
Rohit

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

I have found the write_schematic TCL command, but there is no effect when running in TCL script outside the GUI. Is there something I am missing ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi @jcll

I think this is not supported outside GUI because this command needs schematic to be opened in order to get executed. As mentioned in the other thread you can add start_gui command after synth_design in your script to open the Vivado GUI with synthesized schematic and run write_schematic command. Afterwards you can use 'exit' or 'stop_gui' command to come back to tcl shell.

Regards

Rohit

Regards
Rohit

View solution in original post

0 Kudos