UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor vuphong
Visitor

How to know Power Consumption per clock cycle of a processor design?

Jump to solution

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to build a simulator, which calculate energy consumption of an applications implemented in MIPS ISA.

To do this, I need to know the power consumption of each clock cycle of the processor, then multiply with number of cycles it takes to finish the application.

I have been trying to use XPower Analyzer (Xilinx ISE) to find out power consumption of this processor. 

(Btw, it is TigerMIPS processor, you can find it here: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/teaching/0910/ECAD+Arch/tutorials/tigermips.pdf)

The result is something like this: 

2.3.  Power Supply Summary
----------------------------------------------------------
|                  Power Supply Summary                  |
|                      | Total  | Dynamic | Static Power |
| Supply Power (mW)    | 820.63 | 106.37  | 714.26       |

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|                                            Power Supply Currents                                            |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|     Supply Source     | Supply Voltage | Total Current (mA) | Dynamic Current (mA) | Quiescent Current (mA) |
| Vccint                |          0.950 |             635.02 |                51.59 |                 583.43 |
| Vccaux                |          2.500 |              61.19 |                 1.19 |                  60.00 |
| Vcco25                |          2.500 |              25.76 |                21.76 |                   4.00 |

I don't think this is what I want, since 820mW is too much for one cycle. But I don't know how else can I find out power consumption of each cycle of this processor. Can someone help me, please?
Thank you very much for reading this.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: How to know Power Consumption per clock cycle of a processor design?

Jump to solution

Energy consumption per clock cycle doesn't really make sense anyway, for what you're doing. It's not a fixed value - while static power will be constant, dynamic power will change significantly depending on the instructions and data being processed. An application that spends 99% of its time asleep, waiting for an interrupt, will have a very low dynamic power. One that's continually reading from memory, writing to memory, and doing maths in between will have fairly high power.

As a very rough approximation, you could say that if the processor runs at 100MHz (10ns period) then the energy consumed per cycle is about 8.2nJ (based on the XPA summary). However, this is really not something you should rely on for power consumption of each application - even to an order of magnitude estimate.

9 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

I do not think it is possible to know the power consumption of each clock cycle separately by using XPA tool.

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

I agree,

XPA delivers the predicted total power.  In that sense, the power at a clock edge is the dynamic value, averaged over the entire clock period.  Knowing the peak power isn't needed.  The bypassing we suggest is more than adequate to handle it.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Jump to solution

@vuphong XPA tool doesn't have this granularity. If you want cycle based energy consumption at a reasonable accuracy, you need to generate a netlist and read in the library files into a power estimation tool. There are also RTL level power estimation tools which you can use.

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

Energy consumption per clock cycle doesn't really make sense anyway, for what you're doing. It's not a fixed value - while static power will be constant, dynamic power will change significantly depending on the instructions and data being processed. An application that spends 99% of its time asleep, waiting for an interrupt, will have a very low dynamic power. One that's continually reading from memory, writing to memory, and doing maths in between will have fairly high power.

As a very rough approximation, you could say that if the processor runs at 100MHz (10ns period) then the energy consumed per cycle is about 8.2nJ (based on the XPA summary). However, this is really not something you should rely on for power consumption of each application - even to an order of magnitude estimate.

Visitor vuphong
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thank you very much for all your replies. And sorry for my late response. 

If I know the power consumption of the processor P(W), frequency F(Hz) and number of cycles N is executed. Can I calculate the energy consumption like: E = P*(N/F)?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

Doing it like that isn't really valid, because it assumes that P is constant. This is not true; P depends on both the instructions and the data being processed. Doing a bunch of no-ops is likely to use very little power, compared to multiplication. On the other hand, multiplying zero-times-zero repeatedly is also likely to have relatively low dynamic power because the gates never change state.

Visitor vuphong
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply!

0 Kudos
Observer zineb
Observer

Re: How to know Power Consumption of a design?

Jump to solution

hi,

i designed my architecture that contains, 2 microblazes, local memory, timer,... in the EDK with the AXI bus and everything is going right. my goal now is to estimate the power consummed by each component of this architecture?

first of all is that possible?

if it is how can i do that?i tried to use the XPE(xilinx power estimator) tool but i don't know how does it work even when i read the documentation, should i export my designe from the EDK to the XPE or there is a method to estimate the energy in the ISE too?

i'm so confused since i don't have any idea.

i'll be so thankful for ur answers!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer zineb
Observer

Jump to solution

hi @vuphong the power you get was it after executing the application or what?

i mean how did you get this results?

0 Kudos